Author Topic: Why do my backups start so fast, then slow WAY down  (Read 1784 times)

TTracey62

• Calf
Why do my backups start so fast, then slow WAY down
« on: September 26, 2019, 08:12:03 AM »
I have a new LS220DB in a standard Raid 1 configuration.  When I first access the drive, everything was performing really well.  Then I started copying files. and everything went to a crawl.  I can't even get a complete backup of my PC to complete successfully and it's the only device with access to the system.  Browsing the shares takes anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds to even load a directory list, regardless of the amount of files in the directory.

I have a pretty vanilla configuration and have tried both NovaStore backup as well as Windows backup - neither completes after more than 24 hours.

My PC is an older Dell with an upgraded 256GB SSD drive and performs adequately even with the backup running.  CPU on the PC is showing under 10% utilization with nearly zero going to the backup program.

I was blaming the PC until I realized that even Windows Explorer browses of the share file structure takes a minimum of 10 seconds to load.  Something in the unit is not performing well.

Please - save me a return and tell me what I need to do to fix this!  I've scanned the forums and there are TONS of complaints of a similar nature, but none seem to be exact.

Thanks,

Tom

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: Why do my backups start so fast, then slow WAY down
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 08:51:02 AM »
How is your PC connected to the network?

TTracey62

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 09:28:36 AM »
Currently it's connected via wireless to the Google Wifi point that the NAS is plugged into.  I'm going to pull them both and plug them both into my router via ethernet to see if that help.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 09:32:12 AM »
That sounds like a good first step.

A lot of times things look really fast at first because the client is actually loading a local cache and then the overall rate eventually slows to whatever the bottleneck is. In many cases a wireless connection can be the slowest piece though it depends.

TTracey62

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 10:32:09 AM »
Connected everything to the wired router - no difference.  Getting 25kb/s throughput on a bunch of test files and the backup which I cancelled and restarted flew up to 11%, then is stuck at 12%.  It just sits.

The "Show Details" panel which usually shows the names of the files being backed up is only showing "Copying files to \\LinkStation\System_Backup".

One more day and it's going back.  This is ridiculous.  I've been trying for three days to get a simple backup of PC... It can't be this hard...

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 11:07:55 AM »
If it's a new device you should probably start by calling Buffalo Support.

TTracey62

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 02:38:39 PM »
Before I call support, I want to reset to factory default (nothing has been setup there that can't be redone).  That is underway now.  Once that's done, I'll re-initialize and try one more time.  If that doesn't help, I'll reach out to Support.

From the team here, is there any preferred / recommended method of contacting them?

Thanks,

Tom

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 02:56:15 PM »