Author Topic: Secondary NAS (Replication Target) mysteriously filling data space  (Read 744 times)

dboundscpa

• Calf
I have two Buffalo TeraStation III TS-X4.0TL/R5. They each have 4 1TB drives. The drives are set up in RAID 5. I have had these devices for about 9 years and have been more than happy with them. However, I find myself now with a strange issue. I use the 2 NAS units to have a constant real time backup. The first, or Source, NAS replicates to the secondary, or Target NAS. This is an ongoing, automatic process. Recently, I noticed that the disk usage on the Target NAS is markedly higher than on the Source NAS. That should never happen. I created a Replication Error so that the Source NAS would allow me to Resynchronize the Replications I have established and went through that process. When I do that, the Target NAS usage drops to slightly less than that of the Source NAS, which is precisely where it should be. I have then walked away and come back a few hours later, with NO activity happening on the NAS units at all (from me, that is) and find that the Target NAS then has substantially higher usage than the Source NAS again. I've repeated this process multiple times, each time having the same result. The Source NAS currently is 14% full. The Target NAS currently shows being 36.4% full. Just a few hours ago, I re-sync'd the NAS units and the Target unit showed 13.5% compared to the Source showing 14%. I left the room and did other things for about 6 or 7 hours and just returned to find this condition. I am baffled at how this can occur. Any ideas? I see this being a real problem as it has pushed the Target unit all the way to about 60% full before I caught it and got the Source to let me re-sync. Also, the NAS won't allow me to re-sync unless I make some setting change that I should not have to make.

Again, any ideas???