Author Topic: LS-WVL/R1 vs. LS-WVL/R1-EU Differences in power consumption?  (Read 1908 times)

joeg

• Calf
LS-WVL/R1 vs. LS-WVL/R1-EU Differences in power consumption?
« on: December 11, 2010, 06:07:39 PM »

Hi from Berlin, A friend is coming from the US to Germany, and I'd like him to bring me one of these units (the new LinkStation Pro Duo). However, I've looked at the pdf datasheets for the two, and have seen a big difference:

US -> Power Consumption (Watts) Average 26 W, Maximum 48 W, 0.7 W Standby

UK -> Power Consumption Ave 17W / Max 24W

That's an astounding difference, and it indicates that the US and European versions are really fundamentally very different machines.

My question: Am I reading things correctly, or am I missing something somewhere?

Thanks very much.

Joe

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: LS-WVL/R1 vs. LS-WVL/R1-EU Differences in power consumption?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 11:14:56 AM »

Different countries use different power methods. These differences would be correct. You might be able to pick up an adapter. 

joeg

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 11:21:31 AM »

Thanks for your reply, Jotin, but - please excuse me - I think you missed my point.

I was commenting on how the American versions seem to be significantly less environmentally friendly than the European ones. I'd add that given the rather high European standards in this regard, I can see why the local models are a bit more expensive than those in the US.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to reply.

By the way, I've decided against the US model for the above-mentioned reasons, as well as because the European machines - as required by law here in Germany - have a two-year guarantee, whereas in the US it's only a year. Furthermore, the US guarantee is not recognized here. 

Best regards,

JoeG

CapnSmith

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 02:30:34 PM »

Joeg,

You are correct, we would only be able to provide limited support for products purchased outside the United States/Canada.  You would be better served contacting the technical support office for your region, contact information for whom can be found here, and going to the Contact section.

joeg

• Calf
Re: LS-WVL/R1 vs.. LS-WVL/R1-EU Differences in power consumption?
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 02:58:45 PM »

Actually, as I mentioned in my original posting, the plan was for a friend who's coming from the US to visit me in Germany over Christmas to buy one from Amazon and then bring it over in his suitcase. This means the machine would have been purchased inside the US. For the reasons I've stated, though, this plan has now been abandoned.

By the way, in case anyone is interested, this NAS has become an instant hit here in Germany. There isn't one single machine available anywhere in the country!!! I talked to Buffalo Germany pre-sales, and the guy told me they have a backlog of over 300 orders! The next shipment (from Japan, as he explained it), is expected sometime in January.