Author Topic: Link Station Quad 4TB - design studio performance  (Read 1517 times)

JonathanR

• Calf
Link Station Quad 4TB - design studio performance
« on: October 05, 2009, 03:34:15 AM »

Link Station Quad 4TB running as RAID 5

Hi all.

As a follow up to a previous thread, which has been marked as solved, when really I could have done with carrying on this discussion there, I am interested to hear from anybody using a Link Station Quad 4TB in a Mac-based design studio environment.

We are still on PowerPC's (a G4 and G5, both running OS X 10.4.11), with the main G5 running Quark v7.31 and Photoshop CS2. I have moved many of my archived Quark and Photoshop files to the Link Station, so they are in a central place for others to access, and have been working through a few Quark documents, updating the image locations to the Link Station.

However, if seems that Quark really doesn't like this at all. If an image is marked as OK in Quark, you can double click that image to find out its name and to also Edit Original... which will open the image in its original application. However, this is very hit and miss with the Link Station referenced images, quite often Quark will just hang, requiring a force quit.

It is early days in my testing of this device, and it could well be something specific with the Quark documents I am working on, but this doesn't look too promising in terms of using the Link Station as a useful efficient way of storing a lot of images (all of which exist on archived CDs/DVDs). £500 is a lot of money to spend on something that doesn't seem up to the task at the moment.

Anyone with longer term similar use experiences out there?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: Link Station Quad 4TB - design studio performance
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 09:40:26 AM »
Quark isn't something that we have any experience with our devices.  Hopefully someone on our forum has some information for you.