Author Topic: Trashbox behaving strangely  (Read 2315 times)

Kotch

• Calf
Trashbox behaving strangely
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:24:16 AM »
Hi

I've got a Linkstation LS-WXL085
On the NASNavigator window it shows the unit as LS-WX4.0TL/R1
The firmware is listed as 1.24
(I'm giving you all this because this at about the limit of my technical understanding and I don't know what's relevant.)

I recently had some issues with the unit filling up despite me deleting lots of old backups, then I discovered the trashbox and learned that I needed to delete them from the trashbox to recover space. So I now keep an eye on the trashbox and I've noticed that some backups I run seem to end up in the trashbox even though I haven't deleted them yet. I've looked in the manual and I can't find anything about it.

For the moment the unit seems to be working okay so it's not urgent but I'm wondering about the veracity of the backups if, at the same time that I make them, they appear in the trashbox. It doesn't do it all the time and it hasn't done if for a while now but as it's my backup I want to know that it's working properly.

It's a bit over three years old and pretty much as it was out of the box. (I don't really want to get into doing firmware upgrades as I often find that people describe such operations as easy but assume I'm going to understand things when they are not so obvious.)

Any ideas?

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
Re: Trashbox behaving strangely
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 09:31:45 PM »
what type of backup are you using? full? deferential? append? are you using Novastor or another third party software? Also if you have deferential then this is normal as its deleting the old files and adding the newly change one. If you have append then it depends what kind of append i know there are 2 choices for it but one keeps the old files and the other deletes them or moves them... something like that.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

Kotch

• Calf
Re: Trashbox behaving strangely
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:02:29 PM »
Ah, good question.

I'm not using any proper backup methods. All I'm doing is copying the whole of the My Documents folder into a folder on the Linkstation. I keep a series of old backups and just create a new folder (incrementally numbered and dated) and copy the whole lot again each time. If I want to do a quick backup I just copy a sub folder where I know I've been working.

I know this isn't the proper way of doing it but I figure I've got 2TB of space and I've only got 60GB of data max so I can afford to keep multiple previous copies before I start to run out of space. When the drive gets half full I just start deleting some of the earlier series of backups. I looked into the differential and appended and it all seemed a bit complicated so I just did it this way.