Author Topic: Unwanted copy when connecting USB drive  (Read 1420 times)

erios

• Calf
Unwanted copy when connecting USB drive
« on: December 20, 2009, 04:56:03 AM »

Hello,

I'm trying to use an external usb hard drive attached to a Linkstation LS-CHL-V1 (1.0TB).

The external drive works fine as I am able to read/write at will once it is mounted.

The problem is that everytime I plug the usb drive (or whenever the Linkstation turns itself on) the linkstation performs an entire copy of the usb drive contents into itself.

This may sound as the "Direct Copy" function doing its job, however, I do not want or need this copy and of course I am not pushing the function button after connecting the drive, (as I mentioned, this happens even when the unit turns on itslef).

What is annoying is that the target folder is inside the "source" folder of an scheduled backup, precisely targeted into the usb drive. Therefore, everytime the unit turns itself on, it will copy all the usb contents into a folder which will be copied back again into the usb drive once the "intentional" backup starts. Wasting a massive amount of disk space in both the usb drive and the linkstation by doing this recursive copies.

If this is indeed the direct copy function working by itslef, Is there a way to turn it off?  I can only move the target folder. I even tried to use the usb drive as the target folder, but it would "remember" the last setting of a linkstation folder and keep using it for the self-backup.

I have the firmware 1.21 (which is the latest for this model). and the external drive is also a buffalo drive (an old 250gb model, not a linkstation). Of course I also retried restarts and so.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: Unwanted copy when connecting USB drive
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 08:13:36 PM »

There is no reason for this to occur when it is powered up, didn't even know you could create a backup job from a usb drive and have it go to the nas.  Format the usb hard drive and see if that does it again, make sure you format it to xfs through the buffalo, if that is still a problem try another usb hard drive that does have supplemental power besides the usb connection.  If you have the same issue with another usb drive, reinitilize the buffalo and see if it still has this issue.