Author Topic: External drive causes crashes  (Read 1773 times)

dbasics

• Calf
External drive causes crashes
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:23:38 AM »

We have a new TeraStation TS-RX4.0TL/R5.  We purchased 2, 3 TB My Book Essential external hard drives for backing up the TeraStation.  When we go to format either of the My Books, EXT3/XFS with GRT, it runs for hours then crashes the TeraStation and most times we get an array1 mount error.  I even tried formatting the drive as EXT3 using a Linux LiveCD, it found the drive but didn't have any information (drive size, etc).

I've been working on this around the clock for over a week and am getting exteremely frustrated.  Our TeraStation is unusable until we can get this solved.  If I keep trying to get the external drives to work, the TeraStation is frozen in formatting or crashed.  We will not be using the TeraStation until we have a verifyable backup of the data we are going to store on it.  Which means this is holding up deployment of many projects.

Please, any help.  Thanks

ESCHER

• El Toro
Re: External drive causes crashes
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:16:07 PM »

I am not familiar with TS, but if you read the specs, the units are supplied with ?internal disk drives up to 2 TB.

I donīt think external or internal 3 TB are supported.

Maybe you can try to partition 2 TB (with a PC running Linux) and check.

dbasics

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 02:37:16 PM »

Actually, I have read all the tech specs and documentation, the TS-RX4.0TL/R5? is supplied with 4, 1 TB disks.  We have it in a RAID5 configuration, which yeilds about 2.7 TB of space.  Nothing I've read states that it does not suport a 3 TB external drive.  A nas that can support up to 4 TB of internal space, sure as hell better support a 3 TB external drive for backups.

dbasics

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:38:27 AM »

I tried a 2 TB partition and it does not work.  Still did not see the partition, caused the arrary to unmount and crashed the TeraStation.  I've given up on connecting an external USB drive to the TeraStation due to lack of support and having to move on with projects.  As a work around, I connected the external drive to a server, then directly connected one of the NICs on the server with one of the NICs on the TeraStation to preform the backups so they do not have to go over the network. 

I will not be recommending these for deployment in our other networks.

felix05

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 05:32:05 AM »

The setup utilites can be done only in Windows Operating system .

Try in WIndows OS not in Linux.

Till nothing is working on contact the vendor it has three years limited warrenty

dbasics

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 10:11:40 AM »

I was doing everything in Windows, except an attempt to format the drive as EXT3 from a Linux CD. 

I've actually had to contact the vendor for support, waiting for a reply right now.  Now it is saying the RAID arrary can not be mounted.