Author Topic: You require permission from unix user\ root when copying files from link station to local computer  (Read 11153 times)

tahirjadoon

• Calf

Hi,

I have recently purchased this product and i am going through the set up and learning phase. I have already created users (same as windows login and password) and a group to put all 3 of my users under it. Along with default share folder, i have also created 5 other shares to put my stuff in.

I can copy the files between the computer and linkstation without any problem except one file. I have tested "Alway Sync" and this can perform sync between the computer and link station without any problem. I have utilized torrent feature to download a tutuorial (980MB). It got downloaded fine. I moved the file from its default download location to another folder in the same share. When i try to use vlc media player to open the file, it tells me that it can't play the video. This is .avi file. I am now trying to copy this file to my local machine and i am getting an error:

You need permission to perform this action

You require permission from Unix User\root to make change to this file

How can i set permissions to copy this file.

Link Station

LS-CHLB58     LS-CH1-0Tl-V2

Firmware: 1.54

Workgroup: workgroup

Shared Folders: 7

Volume: 1

Local Computer:

Win 7 home premium with SP1.

Thanks

tahirjadoon

• Calf

Also, when i right click -> properties -> Security tab

and then select "every one" or "root (unix user\root)" (2 instances) and then click "edit" and check "Full Control" check box and hit apply --->>> i get following error:

An error occured while appying security information to:

S:\

Access is denied

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Yeah because Windows permission are not supported on any Buffalo Nas.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

tahirjadoon

• Calf

thanks.

Any clue about my original problem. It is just one file that i can't copy to my machine.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Shot in the dark but the file itself is probably corrupt.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Parkie

• Calf

I have a similar issue in that I cannot delete a file from my Linkstation Quad - "You require permission..." comes up each time I try. (Windows 7)

I suspect it is an orphan file from a failed attempt to auto-copy from a USB HD and it is fouling up my network in that if I ever accidentally select it on my media player (even when scrolling) it causes my media player to hang. Is there a way I can successfully delete this file for good?