Author Topic: Ministation Appears to be Locked After Using CHKDSK or Norton Power Eraser  (Read 2102 times)

Exit135

• Calf

I have a 1.0 TB Buffalo USB 2.0 Ministation Stealth hard drive that I have been using for a month on my Thinkpad T61. I started getting an error in Windows XP Pro SP3 that said there was an error in e:\systemvolumeinformation\lightningsand.cfd and that I should run chkdsk

Running chkdsk without any parameters didn’t do anything. When I ran it with the /r switch chkdsk told me the drive was in use and set it for the next startup. After I rebooted, chkdsk /r ran and no errors were found. Norton 360 6.4 gave me an “Error “3048,3” message which told me to download and run Norton Power Erase. I did this. At the end of running, it said there were no errors. Later that afternoon, I tried to start itunes (my library is on my e:drive) and was told that library file was locked or on a locked disk. I got similar messages when I tried to open Word or Excel files (also on my e:drive) or if I tried to copy a file from the e:drive.

I can, however, save a Word or Excel file to the e: drive then re-open it. I can also copy an mp3 from my c:drive to my e:drive and play it in WMP.

How do I “unlock” my e:drive so I can use the files?