Author Topic: replacing disks in Terastation Live  (Read 2376 times)

cciekevin11

• Calf
replacing disks in Terastation Live
« on: March 07, 2009, 08:41:20 PM »

Hello - I want to replace all the disks in my Terastation Live 1TB (firmware 2.14). The new drives are larger than the original. I've already backed up the data from the NAS, so data loss isn't an issue. I tried pulling all 4 drives at once and replacing them with new drives and got TFTP load errors. No matter what I did I could not get the forum documented TFTP process to work - so I followed another path. Replacing one drive at a time and rebuilding the array. Although the advice I was looking at mentions telnet/ssh, I do not have that available to me (I have non-modified firmware). 

My question is - it seems to take about 24 hours for the array to repair ("rearing") per drive I replace - I do not want to wait 4 days to complete this task. So, if I completely format the existing drives, will the RAID array still take 24 hours to refresh (if there is no data on the array)? And, once I am done, will I be able to format them to their new larger size?

Thanks!

cciekevin11

• Calf
Re: replacing disks in Terastation Live
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 09:33:55 AM »
   *update* - this process goes SO much easier when you wipe the RAID array first, then rebuild! I highly recommend getting a cheap 1TB external as a "swing" drive, put your data on there, wipe the RAID array, then rebuild once your larger drives are installed!