Author Topic: Linkstation Duo LS-WXL media server issue  (Read 47180 times)

hubertusw

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Duo LS-WXL media server issue
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2010, 05:17:18 AM »

I also feel that this kind of arrogance in how Buffalo’s support is responding to users’ complaints is not acceptable at all.

As issue and possible workaround were already described very clearly before a solution for the problem should not be a big deal for them. Even if the issue is related to a third party component the Twonky server which is provided by PacketVideo Corporation there is for sure a solution that can be achieved only on Buffalo side.

My experience with the products and the support from Buffalo will be reflected in my reviews for which well known online dealers are asking for…

marcello

• Calf
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2010, 07:08:48 AM »

I also updated my Linkstation duo 2tb from 1.34 to 1.37 and had some trouble to get the media server update completed - downloading and rebooting all the time. After few attempts I checked the network settings (set the DNS manually to what my ISP uses) then turned off the media server and shut down the Linkstation from the button back of the device. Then I turned it back on and logged in and pressed that "Update DTCP-IP" button. And it was completed. After that I turned the media server on and checked the operation through my PS3. At least the big photos (18mpix) are displayed much better than with previous version of Twonky. The resolution before was just 640x480, but now it seems to be close to Full HD.

gantcliff

• Calf
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2010, 04:30:43 PM »

Hello all,

Just to add my experience to the pile...

I've been running firmware 1.24 on my LS-WXL for many months as it was the only firmware with which I could access the media server correctly using my Xbox 360, Windows 7 Media Player, and standalone internet radio.

Recently I upgraded the LS-WXL to firmware 1.37 (after quite a few failed attempts), but when accessing after the upgrade the media server page I kept getting the following message:

While firmware updating, Media Server update can not be updated completely. Please click 'Update DTCP-IP' button after establishing Internet connection.

I tried updating the DTCP-IP via the button but the update process kept hanging as described above.  After trying this a few times and getting nowhere, I reset the device to the factory settings (this doesn't affect the data on it) and tried updating the DTCP-IP again, and hey presto - it worked fine!  Now my LS-WXL is running 1.37 and the media server works perfectly with all my devices - although I haven't tried it with a PS3 as I don't have one.

Hope this helps.

Gareth

yoshi2000

• Calf
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2010, 08:52:07 PM »

What's your new version of DTCP-IP ?

gantcliff

• Calf
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2010, 04:50:22 AM »

Hi there,

My DTCP-IP version now shows as 1.40-20101112, I don't know what version it was before though.  When I access the media server admin pages I don't receive any popup messages telling me that DTCP-IP needs to be updated, and if I press the the 'Updated DTCP-IP' button I get server progress bars and when they're finished the version is unchanged so I guess I've got the latest version.

Cheers.

Gareth

chankartat

• Calf
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2010, 02:59:41 AM »

My media server had the same problem and working finally !!

Here are the steps I took but I'm not sure exactly which step corrects the problem :

1. Login to linkstation administration web page.
  2. Under the menu "Network->Setting->IP Address Setting", disable DHCP on Linkstation Duo and assign static ip instead.
  3. Specify primary and secondary dns ip address given by your Internet Service Provider.
  4. Under the menu "Extensions->MediaServer", disable Media Server(without doing this, my experience is that DTCP-IP won't update. It just keeps going into that updating-rebooting cycle).
  5. Still under MediaServer menu, enable auto-update. Enable refresh (I specified 30minutes refresh). Refresh now.
  6. At your router, enable portforwarding to the static-ip you specified in Step 2. External port number should be 80 but can be others as long as it is mapped to port 80 of the static-ip.
  7. Click "Update DTCP-IP". MediaServer should be updated now.
  8. Enable MediaServer.

yoshi2000

• Calf
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2010, 11:17:32 PM »

@chankartat: I tried following your method. When I re-enabled the MediaServer after the successful DTCP-IP update, the DTCP-IP failed to restart. Firmware is currently on 1.37.

chankartat

• Calf
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2011, 06:28:25 AM »

You meant the media server failed to restart?Not sure what caused it.

My media server has been working ever since.

Probably a proper reboot would help to affect those dtcp-ip updates.

I have other problems now with the media server. I think it's more of lack of feature then bug.

1. Port 9050 - is blocked, can't admin twonky/media server. Read a few post, it was accessible in FW v1.24

2. Media folder - only allows 1 folder to be selected for serving media. I don't like the idea of having many levels of subfolders under 1 media folder.

3. MKV files - not all mkvs can be streamed, gets "unsupported file format" on the client. Not sure it's the client or the server.

chankartat

• Calf
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2011, 12:13:16 PM »

More features didn't work for me :

4. srt subtitles - won't stream

5. fastforward - did not work on my uPnP client (I'm using a digital hardware media player with uPnP client built-in)

Not sure if this is my client or the Twonky server. There are some discussion at www.twonkyforum.com about srt files not supported and pause not working by older Twonky server(the one in preinstalled in Linkstations?). Was it just my uPnP client or is this happening to other Linkstation Media Server users ? Are the Linkstations installed with older Twonky server?why?

yoshi2000

• Calf
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2011, 12:48:10 AM »

My problem started after upgrading fw from 1.24 to 1.37. The DTCP-IP wasn't updated. Updating it gave downloading/booting status which eventually failed. Tried several times without any luck. I followed your suggestion to stop the mediaserver first and then update the DTCP-IP.

The update was finally completed. But when I restarted the media server,  the DTCP-IP function failed to work. On the left side of the status, the DTCP-IP doesn't show anymore and it gave a pop-up msg saying that the DTCP-IP update failed during firmware update (same as before the update).

If it worked, it should show the DTCP-IP version on the left side of the bar below the firmware version number. I have another unit that shows both firmware and DTCP-IP version on the left side.

It seems that the media server and DTCP-IP do not get along. Can you check your NAS?

yoshi2000

• Calf
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2011, 12:51:08 AM »

I have been streaming MKV files and also AVI with SRT or ASS sub files off the NAS. All are working fine. I am using VLC client on PC, and separete AC-RYAN media player. All can do fast forward. I suspect your client / media player is the problem. NAS is just a storage.

chankartat

• Calf
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2011, 12:44:53 AM »

Latest firmware v1.4 is out !

And Twonky is gone/replaced with Logitech SqueezeBox media server !

Suggest you upgrade to this latest firmware to get rid of all that media server problem.

chankartat

• Calf
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2011, 12:53:24 AM »

......and yoshi2000 you are right.

It's my client/media player not supporting mkv and subtitle streams and fast forwarding.

SM73i

• Calf
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2011, 06:35:12 AM »

I have a LS-WXLE1E & just upgraded to 1.4 and my media server wont start - every time I try to start it I get an error popup saying "Internal error has occurred. Restart LinkStation". I've tried restarting the box but it wont fix it. 

any ideas?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2011, 08:49:07 AM »

If you still have a copy of the 1.37 firmware I would reinstall that on to the unit. Firmware 1.40 seems to have a bit of problems at the moment.