Author Topic: External USB Drive not appearing as Volume in Shared Folders setup on TeraStation  (Read 3644 times)

elanf

• Calf

I have a TeraStation TS-WX2.0TL/R1 running firmware version 1.30. I want to connect an external USB drive and use it for Time Machine backup of an iMac running 10.7. I have connected a Western Digital My Book (which has two drives in it configured as RAID-1). It detects the drive and I have formated the disk with XFS. The format completed and it shows 931.4 GB of free space on "USB Disk 1." However, when I got to Shared Folders I see it as a share of it's own. I can't create a share in it because it doesn't appear as a Volume (only Array 1). When I go to to Extensions -> Time Machine I cannot select it as a target folder. Is my desired configuration supported or not? If not, what is the external USB drive capable of being used for? Thanks for any input!

- Elan

elanf

• Calf

I just noticed that I am quite a few firmware versions back. I'll be performing an upgrade in minutes.

elanf

• Calf

First when I attempted the firmware upgrade I got ACP_STATE_FAILURE. So I shutdown the device, unplugged the USB drive and restarted it. Then reran the firm update and it completed without error. Now that it restarted it is in EM Mode, reports that is a TS-WXL-EM833 and on the LCD it says it has no Array information. Oh $*&T. What happened and what does one do now? I would love to not have lost all the data on there. There are two drives in RAID-1 mode.

realborat

• Buffalo

just follow the steps from EM mode FW update FAQ(2of5)

zaklee

• Calf

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem where the usbdisk1 is an automatically created share but I cannot select the USB drive as a volume to create other new shares on. I've tried EXT3 and XFS with and without GPT. The external drive is a 3TB Buffalo DriveStation. The Terastation is a new TX-XE8.0TL/R5 running firmware 1.60.

I know that I should be able to create multiple shares onto the USB disk volume since I've done it before on other Terastations, also with 3TB drives. Buffalo says that this 3TB (and the 4TB version) are fully compatible with the TS.