Author Topic: Alternate IP addresses or connection methods for a TS Quad?  (Read 1306 times)

Fla_Panther

• Calf
Alternate IP addresses or connection methods for a TS Quad?
« on: January 07, 2020, 10:43:16 AM »
Hi all,

I came home a few days ago to find one of my TS Quads in EM.  I have two, both are on UPS, the other was fine.  I rebooted it, let it sit for a day, repeated that, and it seems to have restored, however I can't connect to it.  It neither responds to its previous IP on my normal LAN IP scheme nor the recover IP of 192.168.11.150.  NAS Navigator (2.99) doesn't see it either.

As I said, I have two of these, so I've confirmed I can access the working one using the same CAT5 cable and my laptop.  At this point I can only assume that either the NAS' Ethernet port is fried or it's come up on some other IP, but the only recovery IP I can find is 192.168.11.150.  Are there any other IPs it could be?

I wonder if I can take the drives out of my working NAS, set them to the side, then see if the drives from the non-communicating one will bring the 'good' NAS up and if I'll be able to communicate to it.  If so then I'd be able to confirm the Ethernet port is the issue.  Only problem is that my two TS Quads aren't the exact same model number (I'm posting this from work right now, don't have the exact model numbers handy).

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: Alternate IP addresses or connection methods for a TS Quad?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 01:21:23 PM »
I assume these are both TS-QVHL Intel-based Terastations. I'm also assuming they are running the linux-based firmware and not Windows Storage Server. Correct me if I'm wrong about either.

If so, then your idea of switching the drives should work just fine.

I believe in EM mode the device will try to set an ip address for each Ethernet port via dhcp, if you suspect one is not working try switching the cable to the other port and reboot (or connect one to each port and reboot).

I took a look at your older posts which are all about LS-QL (Linkstation Quad) devices which only have one ethernet port.

If they are both LS-QL (not LS-QVL) you should be able to switch the drives as you suggested.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 01:24:22 PM by 1000001101000 »

Fla_Panther

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 04:57:18 PM »
Now that I'm home - the one that's working is an LS-QVL/E and the one that's not is an LS-Q4.0TL/R5.  But you made a good point about DHCP.  I do happen to have an old Cisco switch that might support DHCP, testing that may be faster/safer than swapping the drives.  I'll see what I can do and report back.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 05:09:56 PM »
ah.

Yeah, if it has gone into EM mode it will try to get an address via dhcp even if it's configured for a static IP. I don't really know what happens if it fails to get that address, possibly it tries the 192.168.11.150 address though I'm mainly only familiar with that in TFTP mode.

Fla_Panther

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 08:56:52 PM »
Configured my switch for DHCP, unplugged the NAS and plugged it back in (both just the CAT5 as well as power cycling it), the NAS never requested an IP address.  Put the drives in my good NAS, drive #2 seemed to have failed, but other than that it looked like the NAS was operating normally (it was not in EM).  It again never requested an IP from DHCP, nor could I ping it on any of its previous IPs nor the 11.150.

Instead of putting the drives back in the bad NAS I put a blank HD in there and let it boot into EM.  Even like that NAS Navi isn't seeing it.  I guess the Ethernet port must be damaged.  Unless anyone can think of a way to recover this, I guess it's time to replace it.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 09:11:36 PM »
Are the leds on the front blinking and, if so what code are they blinking?

It sounds like they are not so much booting into EM mode as just failing to boot. I think you'll have more luck once you can get to EM mode which should allow you to re-install the firmware.

Here is a guide for performing that type of recovery:
https://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=30419.0

Fla_Panther

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 12:35:27 PM »
The status light is blue and the HD LEDs are all green, except #2 which was off.  I had to use the steps in that link you provided about six months ago when swapping out all 4 drives in my backup NAS to send for offsite storage.  I tried using the LSUpdate tool, it also does not recognize the NAS.