Author Topic: SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation  (Read 3919 times)

sfairchild

• Calf
SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation
« on: July 20, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »

I own a TeraStationPRO TS-IGL/R5 F/W 1.01

I am setting up Hyper-V Failover Clustering and it is failing because the unit does not support SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation or SCSI page 83h VPD descriptors

Is there a firmware update available?

If not, which models support SCSI-3?

Thanks,

Scott

sfairchild

• Calf
Re: SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:03:21 AM »

Bump

lethien

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 12:21:58 AM »

Hi,

It has been 10 months since Scott's post, has the factory implemented SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation support? I am having the exact problem with my TS-RIX4.0TL/R5 even after upgrading the latest frimware v1.55-3.46. This is obviously a show-stopper for the Terastation iSCSI. Please advise.

Thanks!

/Thien

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 12:50:51 PM »

I'm like 99% sure that this unit will never be updated to support this.

lethien

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 10:10:36 AM »

Hi Jotin,

This is a nice product for small businesses. It would be a sign of weakness in the iSCSI market if Buffalo chose not to provide support SCSI-3 protocol, which other big manufacturers like NetApp, EMC, HP, and more, are competing with one another. From an engineering perspective, with 18 years working as a manufacturing engineer for Digital Equipment Corporation, I believe this is a well-manufactured product. Buffalo as a company should demonstrate its ability toward accommodating new technologies to its customer.

Best regards,

/Thien 

lethien

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:46:36 PM »

Hi Jotin,

>>> I'm like 99% sure that this unit will never be updated to support this.

I believe you are right on this statement. Buffalo Technical Support sent me a message concerning the latest firmware (v1.55-3.46) dated November 07, 2011. I replied and informed Buffalo Technical Support that I already upgraded the firmware, but the problem was not fixed. I have not received any message from Buffalo after that. It appeared to me that Buffalo only wants to sell the products and forgets about protecting the customers' investments. Users are getting smarter. They use iSCSI targets for simple block mode devices and clustering. Terastations that support iSCSI are not cheap. If the products fail to keep up with technology then it is not worth buying. I would encourage users to think twice prior to investing their money.

Best regards,

/Thien

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 06:14:09 AM »
Well guys the thing is is that I don't work for buffalo so you can't take what I say as fact. If you really want to know what they are thinking about a topic then you need to ask them directly. The best thing at this point would be to use the support escalation path on their site or to even simply call their support. If the first tech that you speak with doesn't know then ask for someone who might know.

lethien

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 10:43:26 AM »

Hi Jotin,

I followed the support escalation route and just got off the phone with support. Following is a direct quote from technical support (Eric) "straight from Corporate, there is no plan to support SCSI-3 Persistent Reservations on the Terastation iSCSI line of products now and in the near future." I am going to list my Terastation iSCSI TS-RIX4.0TL/R5 on eBay and will get the EMC/Iomega StorCenter px6-300d Network Storage instead.  For those who want to set up Microsoft failover clustering should think twice when buying the Terastation iSCSI.

Best regards,

TL.