Author Topic: Linkstation HS-DH500GL Busted  (Read 1884 times)

symey

• Calf
Linkstation HS-DH500GL Busted
« on: May 12, 2009, 11:55:34 AM »

Hi all

first post so hopefully i will include enough information...

I had a Linkstation HS-DH500GL that i somehow managed to smash the casing, renering the unit inoperable.  i tried to fix the case but the power button had caved in and i couldnt operate the unit. I did away with the casing and kept the drive in the hope that i could retrieve the information off it (photos etc).

I bought a USB external enclosure and hoped i could pop the drive in and get it recognised when i plugged it into my laptop - unfortunately it didnt work.  My vista and xp laptops made the noise that detected an external device being attached but i couldnt see the drives in my computer.

I bought a second DH500GL in the hope i could swap the discs over, retieve the data and then put it back but upon opening my new drive i am relyctant to do it in case i end up with two broken units!

And lastly i tried connecting the external usb drive to the new linkstation in the hope it would pick it up as an attached device, alas it detetcs the usb disk but does not show me the directory struture that i know is on there - any ideas??? 

So, can somebody please tell me how i can/what i need to do to get the disc from the old busted unit recognised, anywhere to get my data off it!

Many thanks in advance

Simon 

Message Edited by symey on 05-12-2009 11:58 AM

kbsolutions

• Calf
Re: Linkstation HS-DH500GL Busted
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:15:59 PM »

I believe you can read the drive if you access from a Linux operating system.

Then copy files to a Windows accessible drive.

symey

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »

thanks - anynybdy have any suggestions for those that dont have a linux o/s?

thanks again

beano

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 11:23:22 AM »
   Try this?

www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/
Message Edited by beano on 05-16-2009 11:24 AM