Author Topic: LS-XHL info folder "Japanese" - to be expected?  (Read 3295 times)

JohnGray

• Calf
LS-XHL info folder "Japanese" - to be expected?
« on: August 19, 2009, 11:08:34 AM »

I have just set up a new Linkstation Pro LS-XHL (Firmware 1.03) and find two folders

info\Japanese

and

on it.

Two questions:

a) would the "Japanese" folder be expected, rather than, say, "English"? Does it matter anyway, since presumably you shouldn't try to mess with the contents?

b) are there instructions for starting from scratch again which are better than "Hold the Function button in when powering on, then press the Function button again"?  Subsequent running of LANG.EXE fails because "no new Linkstation is found" (or similar message).

As far as I can see from a bit of playing with the NAS Navigator utility the device is performing as expected.

Thanks!

Message Edited by JohnGray on 08-19-2009 11:10 AM

JohnGray

• Calf
Re: LS-XHL info folder "Japanese" - to be expected?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 11:51:50 PM »

Since I've not had any response to my original questions, perhaps I could reword the first?

Please could someone with a LS-XHL drive tell me the name of the directory/folder that you see below "info" on the disk.

Thanks!

Message Edited by JohnGray on 08-23-2009 11:52 PM

dil

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 03:25:16 PM »

[LS-XHL 1TB - firmware 1.10-0.73]

On my LS-XHL a folder "Japanese" is in the folder /mnt/info. I might add, that /mnt/info is a symbolic link to /mnt/.info/0x00000011. There is a second folder in /mnt/.info called 0x00000012 which contains the folders "English" and "Japanese". Interestingly the manual folder in the "English" branch is empty.

Another point: If I disable the visibility of the info-folder it could furthermore be seen via ftp using the (not editable) guest-account.

Message Edited by dil on 08-24-2009 03:29 PM

JohnGray

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 01:31:11 AM »

I can now report, with some embarassment, that the info directory/folder on my LinkStation Pro LS-XHL now contains not only the "Japanese" subdirectory, but now one named "English", with subdirectories approximately matching the "Japanese" one, and an apparently newer version of the user manual than is on the Buffalo website!

There would seem to be only three explanations why this "English" directory was not there originally

• it gets written to the info share at a stage later than the original initialisation
  • it becomes 'unhidden' by the LinkStation Pro's operating system at a later stage than the original initialisation
  • I just didn't see it first time!

I would incline towards one of the first two suggestions, and would be interested if anyone else has noticed this.

Cynics might imagine that the final explanation is the more likely...   :smileysad:

Message Edited by JohnGray on 08-26-2009 01:31 AM