Author Topic: WHR-HP-G300N suddenly stopped getting DHCP  (Read 1374 times)

canalrun

• Calf
WHR-HP-G300N suddenly stopped getting DHCP
« on: September 23, 2011, 05:33:45 PM »

I have a WHR – HP –G300N that I purchased in May of 2011. It's been working great since May. Suddenly today it stopped getting the DHCP information from my ISP, Time Warner Cable Road Runner.

I reset the router and the cable modem several times.

A hard wire connection between my laptop and the G300N also does not work.

I can see in the router status display that the WAN IP info and such are all zeros.

If I hook the cable modem directly to the laptop, Windows 7, I get an Internet connection – obviously a DHCP address, but I don't remember the Windows command to display network connection information like the WAN address.

It appears the WHR – HP –G300N is broken.

Any suggestions? Could the G300N have hiccuped and gotten misconfigured somehow? I have gone through the easy set up and made sure all the settings are correct, then reapplied the settings.

Maybe a software upgrade?

Thanks,

Barry.

kargo27

• Calf
Re: WHR-HP-G300N suddenly stopped getting DHCP
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 11:29:22 PM »

Hey Barry,

Did your ISP recently acquire DOCSIS 3.0?  Ours is Charter and they did which caused a similar problem to mine.

Also, I find that Buffalo routers can be a bit finicky/tricky to setup initially (at least my last 2 were).  But like you experienced, once set up, they're rock solid.

Try this:

Disconnect the power to your Buffalo router.  Shut your computer down and unplug any attached CAT cables from the router except the computer you're using.

Disconnect your coax cable from the back of your cable modem as well as disconnecting the power.  Let it sit for 2 minutes then connect them both and let the modem boot up.

Once you see that the modem is up and functioning, power up your router, making sure it's connected to the modem.   Once you see that it's booted up, then turn on your attached computer.  It should find the address. 

If not, and you're using Buffalo firmware, go to the Internet/LAN tab and click on the radio button that says "Acquire an IP Address Automatically from a DHCP Server?" and click "apply".