Author Topic: the tale of two NAS units, 5 PCs, and many access issues  (Read 1807 times)

zmari

• Calf
the tale of two NAS units, 5 PCs, and many access issues
« on: December 16, 2018, 09:34:21 PM »
Hi,

On my home network I have 2 NAS units (LS-Q4.0TL/R5 - firmware 1.1 and LS-QV8.0TL/R5 - firmware 1.73 Linkstations, respectively).  I have a total of 5 PCs on my home LAN.

First of all, in NAS Navigator 2, I am able to see both, from all 5 PCs, no problem.  I can also browse/map the LS-QV8.0TL/R5 shares from all 5 PCs, no problem. 

The older LS-Q4.0TL/R5 maps from 2 of the PCs: a laptop running Win7 and a desktop running Win10.  It does not map or browse from the other 3 PCs, 2 laptops both running Win10 and one desktop running Win7.  So it does not seem to be a Win version issue, because I do get access from 2 different OS versions (Win7, Win10) and it does not seem to be a wired versus WiFi access issue because I get connected from a laptop and a desktop as well.

Access issues have been discussed before and I am sorry if I am repeating something that has been resolved before.  Any help is appreciated.

Happy Holidays!
Zoltan
p.s. Not sure if this is relevant, but I would like to add that the older LS-Q4.0TL/R5 model was on our home network for a long time and was primarily used from the Win10 desktop that still sees it + 2 other laptops that are not included in the above tally (but I can get them back to check if that helps), whereas the newer LS-QV8.0TL/R5 model was previous in my work office and the Win7 desktop (and many other PCs) accessed it - again we have no issue with this one from any of the PCs.  However, the laptop (Win7) mentioned above that is my new work laptop has never been on either of these networks before and easily was able to connect to the old NAS and browse/map its shares.  So it is very puzzling as I cannot find a logic as to why some have access and some others don't.

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
Re: the tale of two NAS units, 5 PCs, and many access issues
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 08:46:33 AM »
use DHCP on all devices
do not modify the mtu

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: the tale of two NAS units, 5 PCs, and many access issues
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 09:45:16 AM »
It sounds like you may not have consistent settings between the various NAS/PC regarding which versions of SMB are enabled/available. My guess would be that the LS-QVL has SMB2 enabled which is allowing all PCs to access it without issue, but the LS-QL probably only has SMB1 enabled. If that is correct it would mean that the PCs that are able to talk to the LS-QL have has SMB1 enabled at some point.