Author Topic: Linkstation Mini 1TB - Can the Drives Be Extracted and Data Recovered  (Read 1730 times)

cwfender

• Calf
A few days ago I found the unit would not power up.  No LEDs lighting up.

I've used the unit for several years to backup family PCs.

Is there a way to extract the hard drives and recover the data using a PC or other device?

The only post I found confused me on the answer to this.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: Linkstation Mini 1TB - Can the Drives Be Extracted and Data Recovered
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 03:31:23 PM »
Assuming the drive inside is still working, you can usually connect it to a PC and access the data.

The data is typically on last partition of the drive (usually #6), The filesystem will likely be XFS which generally requires accessing from a Linux environment.

If it doesn't seem to be trying to power up at all you might try replacing the power supply before cracking it open to get at the drive.

cwfender

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 07:16:46 AM »
"Assuming the drive inside is still working, you can usually connect it to a PC and access the data.

The data is typically on last partition of the drive (usually #6), The filesystem will likely be XFS which generally requires accessing from a Linux environment.

If it doesn't seem to be trying to power up at all you might try replacing the power supply before cracking it open to get at the drive."

Thank you for the information on the XFS Filesystem & the likely partition on which the data likely resides.

Does anyone know where to source a replacement power supply for the mini (LS-WS1.0TGL/R1)?   I couldn't find one for this model number on eBay but there were others that APPEAR to be the same.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 08:50:39 AM »
You should be fine with any of them provided they match the voltage/amperage/polarity of the original. This information should be on the device (or on the adapter you’re replacing). The 12v adapters are pretty standardized, odds are if you have a single drive usb adapter somewhere it uses a compatible adapter to a single-drive linkstation.

Of course, always verify this before trying to use it.