Author Topic: Terastation 3410 Bit Torrent Support?  (Read 3089 times)

calebguada

• Calf
Terastation 3410 Bit Torrent Support?
« on: August 27, 2022, 05:29:56 AM »
Hello everyone! I just acquired a New Open Box TS3410DN with just one 4TB hhd.
I was hoping to use it as a substitute for my LenovoECM PX4-400d NAS.
But this model does not support BitTorrent. At least not from the box.
Is it possible to install Bit Torrent or Transmission Torrent, and how?
Thanks to all in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 05:32:31 AM by calebguada »

calebguada

• Calf
Re: Terastation 3410 Bit Torrent Support?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 12:00:32 PM »
I received an answer from Buffallo customer service:

"Dear Caleb,

Thank you for contacting Buffalo Support,

Unfortunately, there is no bit torrent client built into this model. There is no way to install additional third-party software on the device itself.

Stefan M."

I wonder if I could at least cross-flash it to another model that supports it?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 06:48:48 PM »
it is simultaneously sort of easy to load custom packages on this model since it's running a Ubuntu-derived OS that lives on the hard drives with working dpkg/etc.....but also really difficult since they use some custom kernel patches to enable > 4K memory pages on a 32-bit armv7 CPU which breaks many programs that assume everything uses 4k pages..... if I remember correctly.

I wrote some notes about it when I spent some time tinkering with mine a few years ago:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Terastation_TS3210DN

Mainline linux support for the Alpine CPUs wasn't great back then and I moved on to other projects, though I'm overdue to take another look at somepoint in the future.

I should be possible to take buffalo's kernel headers/etc and build just about anything you want and make it work with this device.... in theory anyway.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 07:32:04 PM »
I was hoping to use it as a substitute for my LenovoECM PX4-400d NAS.

That looks like an amusing device. I wrote a Python script a while back to control the display on the ix4-200d. It was one of the more fun projects I’ve worked on in recent memory:
https://github.com/1000001101000/ix4-200d-research

Porting that to the px400-400d sounds like it would be fun too.

Let me know if you’d be interested in some kind of swap.

calebguada

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 05:51:17 AM »
it is simultaneously sort of easy to load custom packages on this model since it's running a Ubuntu-derived OS that lives on the hard drives with working dpkg/etc.....but also really difficult since they use some custom kernel patches to enable > 4K memory pages on a 32-bit armv7 CPU which breaks many programs that assume everything uses 4k pages..... if I remember correctly.

I wrote some notes about it when I spent some time tinkering with mine a few years ago:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Terastation_TS3210DN

Mainline linux support for the Alpine CPUs wasn't great back then and I moved on to other projects, though I'm overdue to take another look at somepoint in the future.

So No luck for me this time with the Buffalo NAS.
I do have a Lenovo IX4-300d that I would love to make Transmission Torrent work again but I've had no luck.
Could you help me with that?
I should be possible to take buffalo's kernel headers/etc and build just about anything you want and make it work with this device.... in theory anyway.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 02:48:37 PM »
If you're looking to run Debian on the ix4-300d my Python LCD stuff will work with some minor tweaks. I think someone has instructions somewhere for loading the actual Debian OS on those. From there you could install any software you want.

I wrote something a while back describing a way to run a Debian installation inside a container/namespace within the stock firmware provided that you have root access and the kernel/OS is sufficiently compatible etc:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/w/index.php?title=Linkstation_LS520D&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop#Custom_Firmware/Operating_System_installation

How to run something directly inside the firmware depends on a lot of factors and can be easy or hard, safe or dangerous depending on a number of factors. It's simultaneously something I have a fair amount of experience/skill at doing...and virtually no interest in spending any time doing.