Author Topic: Power issues: USB 3 Express Card  (Read 3153 times)

nemophoto

• Calf
Power issues: USB 3 Express Card
« on: July 20, 2010, 09:33:49 PM »

I recently purchased the new Buffalo USB 3.0 Express Card for my new Sony notebook. I thought it was great that it had two ports so I could do faster transfers of digital images for clients from my external drive to a client's drive (as much as 46GB per day).

My problem is that the Express Card slot doesn't seem to carry enough power for two drives. One drive is perfect, but two causes at least one drive to die from lack of power. There's a power plug to add juice to the Express Card, however, nowhere is listed how many volts and amps are required to power this port. I tried buy a 5v/2a power converter from Radio Shack, but received an error message regarding a power surge, because this was obviously the wrong power required.

Where can I find information on how much DC power is needed to properly furnish power to my two USB 3 drives? Where do i find the proper power adapter? Thanks.

Nemo

Thaitawat

• Tatanka
Re: Power issues: USB 3 Express Card
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 04:48:02 AM »

5V. from USB cable. (Include)

nemophoto

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 06:14:02 PM »

I can't find a USB power cable with the proper diameter pin for the USB 3 Express card. The external power adapter I found provides 5v, but my system said it detected a power surge.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 05:18:49 PM »

If the drives are powered via USB at the same time that might be what's causing the issue.  I can't put my finger on it but it sounds like the drives might be pulling more power through the card than what was meant for it.  What's the model of the external drives you're using?