Author Topic: HD-DHTGL Disk Issues  (Read 1307 times)

nworker

• Calf
HD-DHTGL Disk Issues
« on: May 02, 2011, 03:28:39 PM »

The good news is I have the files on another device. It is now a matter of technical pride.

I have three buffalo products: 2 HS-DH2.0TGL/R5s and a LSQ4.0TL/R5. Not long ago, we suffered a power outage and one of the HS, lets call it HS-A, devices did not come back up. It showed the dreaded E04 message. Having had this problem before, I attempted to reflash the firmware. That didn't solve the problem and I gave up in frustration. As I say, I had all the files backed up. I left the system off.

Recently, I had some spare time so I shut down my other HS, lets call it HS-B, removed the disks, and moved the disks from the dead HS-A over the the functioning HS-B.

When I booted up HS-A with the 4 disks from HS-B the system booted perfectly and presented the files on the network.

When I booted up HS-B it came up with the E04. This is not the result I expected. I thought the problem was with the HS itselft not the disks.

So I started working on the problem again. I attempted to reflash the firmware of HS-B, which is now the dead NAS. It successfully downloaded the firmware, rebooted, and comes up in EMERGENCY MODE - NO ARRAY INFORMATION. In EM, there is no way to get to the web admin of the HS, wo I can't check on the disk status. I attempted to use TFTP.  I carefully followed all steps outlined and the HS-B would not attempt to download the files from the TFTP server. When it came up in EM mode it had the old IP address showing on the LCD.

The HS-B is configured with a fixed IP address. Could this be the problem? I read through how to force the update, and on the debug page it allows you to change the IP address. I tired every combination I could think of to get the HS-B to go back to DHCP. Nope it just stays on the fixed IP address.

Clearly the problem is with the disks. I don't want to waste 4 500GB drives and it would be great to get both HSs running again. I am open to suggestions at this point as to how to get HS-B to present the admin web page.

Thanks!