Author Topic: Using buffalo WMR-54G wireless ADSL Router with ethernet cable modem.  (Read 4611 times)

mrmoore

• Calf

I have previously used this wireless adsl modem/router to share an adsl internet connection around my home (via ethernet and wirelss).

I have moved, and I now have a cable internet connection. The cable modem has one ethernet socket. Is it possible to use my WMR-54G to share the connection with other pcs/devices (again via ethernet and wireless) ?

Does it matter which ethernet socket on the wmr-54g i use to connect to the cable modem?

The cable modem is a "webstar", which connects to the internet via virgin media cable. It works fine when i plug it straight into my PCs ethernet socket.

Thanks

slpip

• Tatanka
Re: Using buffalo WMR-54G wireless ADSL Router with ethernet cable modem.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:43:56 PM »
   The cable modem should has a LAN output for internet connection.  You should connect a CAT cable from the modem LAN output to the router WAN input and the other PC should use the other 4 LAN outputs of the router.

mrmoore

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 02:52:07 PM »

The modem/router has four LAN sockets, and no "WAN" input, as you would normally use the inbuilt ADSL modem. Is there a way of using one of the LAN sockets for this purpose by changing the modem/router settings?

slpip

• Tatanka
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 10:20:48 PM »
   The ADSL modem/router should has the router function built in.  Connect the cable modem LAN output to anyone of the ADSL modem/router LAN port and disable the DHCP of the router to turn the router into a switch.  Just not sure whether the router wireless function still works or not.