Author Topic: Unable to format drives using TS-0.6TGL/R5  (Read 2339 times)

PianoDude53

• Calf
Unable to format drives using TS-0.6TGL/R5
« on: August 30, 2009, 01:31:41 AM »

I bought a lightly used TS-0.6TGL/R5 on E-bay a few days ago and received it in working RAID 5 condition. I had purchased 4 2TB drives.  I had already got them into a RAID 5 array on a TeraStation Pro II (I have 6 Terastaions now :)).

After I installed the 4TB drives it loaded I got Kernal errors. I had to put the original 4 160GB disks back in before I could get it the firmware reloaded.  I then tried 4 500GB drives and got the same result. I then reinstalled the firmware and got in running in RAID5 with the original 4 HDs.  I then "broke" the Raid 5 and went to "Single" mode.  I then tried adding in 4 or 5 differrent types of drives to see if I could incrementally increase the storage capacity, one disk at a time.

I received format errors on a 500GB and a 750GB Sata 300 drives.  Thinking that the unit is capped at 160GB, I then tried to format a Maxtor 160GB Sata drive.  No Luck.  Thinking that maybe the unit is pre-disposed to WD productions, I tried at WD 500GB.  Still No Luck.

I put all 4 WD 160s back into the unit and it works fine in both "Single" and Raid 5 modes.

I am running Bootcode 1.23 and the latest firmware I can find is 1.04.

Is there any way to expand the capacity of this unit ??

Thanks in Advance !!!

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Unable to format drives using TS-0.6TGL/R5
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 10:44:36 PM »

Number 1, this is not something that we support.  Outside of the fact that we don't support it, we HIGHLY recommend that you don't upgrade to more than double the capacity.

You have done quite a bit with this unit Piano, I hope you know what you are doing.  You run the risk of a bricked unit.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:57:28 PM »

PCPiranha is correct in that we don't support this. I can give you a few suggestions, though.

The original TS Pro has a limit of 500 GB drives, so don't even bother trying it with larger drives. You're best bet would be to put the original drives in, swap one drive for a 500 GB drive, and restructure the RAID array. Once the restructure has completed, do the same for the next drive. Repeat the procedure until you have all 500 GB drives. The RAID will still show a capacity as if it was still using 160 GB drives. Then you can delete the RAID array, and create a new one. At that point, it SHOULD create a RAID using all the capacity available.

Again, this is not officially supported, and that's all the info I have about the process, so if it doesn't work, there will be no further suggestions from us. Some of the other forum members may have ideas for you, though. Good luck!

dmiller7

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 07:58:12 PM »

I have a similar problem - I replaced my 500 gig drives with 1.5 Tb drives but the raid only shows 1.5 Tb of capacity instead of 4.5 Tb. Cant I just flash my Terastation with a newer TS-HTGL/R5 firmware? Wont that work? They are the same boxes right? My current firmware is 1.04.

My other Terastation has a E04 error and I cant connect via the network to update the firmware on the box. I took my 500 gig drives that was working in the above box and put them in this other TS- TGL/R5 box and the same error E04 cant load flash  continues to come up, so i know it is NOT the drives.  How do I reflash a box with no network connectivity? Please Help? Fry's only gives me 15 days to bring back hard drives. Anyone - I really need help!!!

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 08:05:53 PM »

dmiller7 wrote:

I have a similar problem - I replaced my 500 gig drives with 1.5 Tb drives but the raid only shows 1.5 Tb of capacity instead of 4.5 Tb. Cant I just flash my Terastation with a newer TS-HTGL/R5 firmware? Wont that work? They are the same boxes right? My current firmware is 1.04.

They are NOT the same hardware. As I noted in my earlier post, the original TS Pro has a limit of 500 GB drives.

dmiller7 wrote:
My other Terastation has a E04 error and I cant connect via the network to update the firmware on the box. I took my 500 gig drives that was working in the above box and put them in this other TS- TGL/R5 box and the same error E04 cant load flash  continues to come up, so i know it is NOT the drives.  How do I reflash a box with no network connectivity? Please Help? Fry's only gives me 15 days to bring back hard drives. Anyone - I really need help!!!

If your other Terastation (the one with the E04 error) is the same model, then it's broken. The original TS Pro gives E04 error when the flash chip is broken. Only the TS Pro II (TS-Hx.xTGL/R5) can be fixed when it reports E04 error.