Author Topic: Unable to download large files (>1 to 2 GB) remotely  (Read 1796 times)

rahershb

• Calf
Unable to download large files (>1 to 2 GB) remotely
« on: December 15, 2015, 09:59:08 PM »
Storage system: LS-WV4.0TL/R1
Setup: RAID 0; 2-2TB drives w/3696.9 GB formatted space.
Local system: Windows 7 in NTFS
Remote system (the one with the issue): Windows 7 in NTFS
Firmware of NAS: 1.71 (latest; confirmed with tech support tonight)

General setup: Locally I'm able to upload, download and create folders on my local system. I have uploaded files up to 5GB without any issues.

Remote setup: I've enabled remote access w/Web Access. I have users setup, r/w locks and passwords enabled. We are able to connect remotely and achieve similar upload, download performance and create folders just like the local access. We do not have issues with files under 1GB.

Issue: We do run into issues with files over 4GB in size. Every time we start the download, it will fail when we reach something over 1.5GB achieved download. It will always fail by 2GB, if it makes it that far.

The Error: I installed the stand alone PC software that Buffalo provides. During the copy process, a window pops up and says:

"An error occurred during coping of file." It then shows the path of my file in download. Then closes with: "Details: The handle is invalid".

Nothing we have tried allows us to successfully download the file remotely.

Can someone help?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Unable to download large files (>1 to 2 GB) remotely
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 09:31:17 AM »
Do they successfully download locally via webaccess?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

rahershb

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 10:14:56 AM »
Yes. I've tried both web browsers (Chrome, IE, Firefox) and the PC software from Buffalo. I will note that if I do anything to the web interface, it might stop. But generally web browsers work. The My Computer access through the PC software, I've never had an issue.

We're doing both ways on the remote computer, neither will complete.

rahershb

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 09:51:41 PM »
Solved.

The problem was not with Buffalo. It was with my Netgear Nighthawk router. After FW upgrades and debug, we isolated the issue to IP assignments. The firewall router was setup for a XXX.XXX.2.1 address for years, different than default. After a FW upgrade, we got locked out of using the XXX.XXX.2.1 setup. After many different attempts, we setup our router to use the default XXX.XXX.1.1 setup after our 5th factory reset.

We were able to download the 4GB file cleanly and a more consistent network response with this setup. As a test, we reset to XXX.XXX.2.1 and had major issues with even logging into the router. Once established, downloads remote would fail at 1.5-1.7GB.  The FW upgrade really made the router touchy.

For some reason, Netgear does not like for you to modify a base IP setup outside of XXX.XXX.1.1 with their latest software.

Good luck to anyone else that has this issue.