Author Topic: Linkstation Pro - Direct copy does not seem to work  (Read 3311 times)

Pottypotsworth

• Calf
Linkstation Pro - Direct copy does not seem to work
« on: June 10, 2009, 06:07:10 PM »

Hi,

I have been tearing my hair out with this so i hope someone can help me.

After messing about all night yesterday to get my linkstation to actually recognize the USB drive (the only way seemed to be copy all my dat from it to my pc, RE-formating the usb drive in fat32 whislt connected to the linkstation, and then copying all 290gb of my back data onto the usb drive from the pc). I now can't seem to get the direct copy function to work :(

I connect the USB drive, it initialises, the function light glows blue and i press it once as instructed in the instructions. The function light then starts to blink which i assumed meant that it was actually copying the files, oh how wrong was I.

After leaving the unit for 8 hours (and the light still blinking) i fired up my pc and browsed to the linkstation network drive to discover that NOTHING had been transferred at all.

So my questions is this, the usb drive is recognised by the linkstation, all it has on it is .avi files, and i followed the instructions to initiate a direct copy... why isn't it working?

This is my first time using a NAS drive and i must say i am not impressed. It seems insanely difficult to 1) get the linkstation to actually recognize a disk in the first place even though it was fat32 and 2) actually get the thing to copy data off the disk without going through the network.

Why is there not an option in the web admin (or even NAS navigator programme) to directly copy the usb disk and give a visual progress indicator? Surely that would take a day of coding time max?

Does anyone know why it seems to refuse to copy the data from my usb disk? I can see the usb disk though the network share btw so i know the NAS has mounted it. And the function button acts in the way that the instructions said.

Thanks

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Pro - Direct copy does not seem to work
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 04:59:28 PM »
   You need to format the usb drive to xfs through the web interface of the ls pro.

Pottypotsworth

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 06:49:14 PM »
   But if i do that then both my mac or pc cant read the USB drive. Besides, the drive gets mounted, why would i have to format in xfs to get direct copy to work. That doesnt seem to make much sense to me.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:20:31 PM »
Try doing the direct copy from the web interface instead of using the button.
Message Edited by PCPiranha on 06-11-2009 08:21 PM

Pottypotsworth

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 04:23:24 PM »

There doesnt seem to be any option to direct copy from the web interface. Could u point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:19:33 PM »
I'm sorry I was mistaken.  This unit does not support direct copy.