Author Topic: User access help  (Read 598 times)

djtonyd

• Calf
User access help
« on: August 09, 2022, 08:12:23 AM »
ok

ive got admin as 1 user which is for everything,
now ive given my mate access under user1 with password etc...

when he network maps my external IP on his windows explorer and clicks into it goes to all my HDD folders etc..
then he can see videos or songs etc... now ive set his permission to "read only" so when he clicks to open a music file to listen to something it pops up with "how do you want to open this file" and the only choices you get are (chrome,Microsoft edge and app store) there is no other option or anywhere to click more! and so he cannot open the file dirrectly and music plays, unless he drags it to his desktop and opens it or right clicks it from there then it works,

how can i change the way my users can access or open files, i can view everything fine my end as i ran a test External ftp link and opens everything ok. no sure what windows features could be blocking it,

JoeAsheville

• Calf
  • Trying vainly to avoid PEBKAC/ID10T errors...
Re: User access help
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 02:50:42 PM »
Which Terastation unit are you referring to? There may be differences between units dependent upon unit operating systems and their capabilities. Some use a Buffalo OS, others use Windows Storage Server (which may provide a friendlier end user experience).

djtonyd

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 04:12:04 PM »
Buffalo link station 4bay LS-QVL model

JoeAsheville

• Calf
  • Trying vainly to avoid PEBKAC/ID10T errors...
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 06:05:59 PM »
The Linkstation has DLNA capability. It sounds like that's the behavior you're expecting.

Refer to the Buffalo user manual for the Linkstation, page 123. It explains in detail how to set up your unit to be a DLNA server, which should give you what you want.