Author Topic: Linkstation 710 not recognizing USB drives  (Read 554 times)

Armand28

• Calf
Linkstation 710 not recognizing USB drives
« on: February 05, 2022, 04:39:29 PM »
My linkstation 710 cannot recognize usb drives.  Here is what I tried;
- tried all usb ports
- format exfat, ntfs, fat32, and partition with no format
- 4 different hard drives, all mount fine on my router and pc, mix of ssd and drives
- updated firmware to latest .14 version
-tried hot-plugging and plugging before booting and every combination of plug and boot
-did a reset (config but not data wipe)

When I unplug a drive the logs show the drive being unmounted, so it seems to see it, but it doesn’t show up in USB drives and therefore not in files.  Logs also say “usbdeviceserver is disabled” but there is no web interface menu option to enable it.  For 2 of my SSD USB drives it prevents the linkstation from booting no matter where I plug them in. 

Do I have a bad drive, or is there something else I should try?  Drives are a mix of Samsung and WD, in case brand is an issue.  All are UsB powered (no secondary power source) and all have read light flash as if being read. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 02:48:18 PM by Armand28 »

Armand28

• Calf
Re: Linkstation 710 not recognizing USB drives
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 06:42:48 AM »
In my logs I see:  usbdeviceserver is disabled.   There is no option to enable/

Also I unplugged usb drives that were plugged in and the logs show them being dismounted successfully but they never showed up in the usb drives list.  I’m running firmware 1.14, any help,is appreciated!

Does anyone know if there is something I need to enable?  I read on other NAS’s by Buffalo that you had to enable usb, and the “ usbdeviceserver is disabled” message in the logs makes me think that. Is there a console or something other than the web interface I need to use?  Or should it be plug and play and I may have a faulty unit?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 01:34:37 PM by Armand28 »

Armand28

• Calf
Re: Linkstation 710 not recognizing USB drives
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 05:48:37 PM »
Ok, progress maybe.  A reaaally old FAT32 formatted drive mounted great, so I got a different format tool and reformatted the other drives EXT3 and FAT32, and neither worked.  I ordered a flash drive to try that, but it seems the linkstation is super finicky with usb drives.  Meanwhile my ASUS router will mount anything you plug into it without complaint….  It’s a router.  My NAS can’t handle USB drives, but my router does just fine.  Ow.

Posting this in case anyone can explain how to get my other drives working or for others with the same issue. 

Update:thumb drive shows up but cannot format.  Formatted exactly the same as the working drive and still shows as unformatted.  Wish Buffalo would stop advertising these linkstations as supporting usb drives.  They don’t. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 06:58:07 AM by Armand28 »