Author Topic: LS-CHL User access to permission folder denied  (Read 11703 times)

cctl88

• Calf
LS-CHL User access to permission folder denied
« on: April 24, 2009, 09:20:40 PM »

Just got the LS-CHL.  Accessible via browser and the tools. I set up the users TEST and a folder with access restriction to the users.  But when I try to access the restricted folder with user TEST, it was denied.  I further assigned TEST to HDUSERs and put the group in permission. Still not work.  Admin/PW works fine.  

I updated the firmware and still did not work.  Called the tech support, it is the first time they heard it and got no solution.  Is it unit issue or my network issue?

Any testing ideas?  is it my firewall? (but I also have another linkstation on the network, user access/ folder permission function works perfectly there. Thoughts?  

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: LS-CHL User access to permission folder denied
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 05:16:07 PM »
Create a new shared folder, and check the Volume option... do you see "disk1" or is the box empty?

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 07:51:13 PM »
   All connection user/pw are stored in the browser cache of Windows explorer. And it uses the same in the session. Before you try a new permission setting Log off/ Log On in Windows. How is that?

cctl88

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 04:55:21 PM »
   Yes, I see a Disk 1.  By the way, somehow it works now.  I think it is the login cache clarance...  

cctl88

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 05:42:20 PM »

I think it is the login/pw cache.  Today, I created user Test/test, and folder Test.  It can login ok.  Then I created another one Cris/Pw, and folder Cris-backup.  when i tried to login, it showed this error msg. 

"\\LS-CHL6EA\Test is not accssbile. You might not have persmission to use this network resoruce.... Blah, blah. "

"Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed.  disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again."

I think the problem is that I create and try many usernames and it is not allowed.  If this is the case, how do I:

1) clear the cache? (I login/out of window, did not work).

2) I need to create multiple user names to people.  I need to test them before I give them out.  Does it mean that I can not do that on the same computer?

3) I have another LinkstationPro, I performed user creation/testing on the same laptop, no problem.  If now I have this LS-CH, would that block me out of LinkstationPro connections?

thanks, 

cris 

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 02:53:09 AM »

On one machine you can use open shares and shares with one additional user name. That's the way it is with SMB shares.

Computer1 /working scenario

share for user1

Share for user1

open share

open share

Computer 2 /not working!!!

share for user1

share for user2

open share

open share

And always connect the restricted shares first.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 03:57:48 PM »
Windows has a restriction where it will only allow one set of login credentials to be used for a single network machine. As disputator notes, connect to the restricted share first. To map the nonrestricted share, Start->Run, \\IP_ADDRESS, then right click on the nonrestricted share and choose Map Network Drive. There is an option in that wizard "Connect using a different user name". Choose this option, and enter the same username/password that you used for the restricted share.

cctl88

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 04:17:37 PM »

Guys, I thank you very much for the answers.  I called the tech support again and we spend 1.5 hours in troubleshooting.  Including flushing the firmware, debugging, mapping drive and subsequent actions (it will not let me map the drive..).  It still did not work.  I will return the product to the retailer.  I have a Linkstation Pro, it worked perfectly, just don't know what happened with this LS model.. 

az_r2d1

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 06:17:33 PM »
   I have the same issue. I do not see the "disk1" but an empty box. What does that mean ?

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 05:19:26 PM »

az_r2d1 wrote:
   I have the same issue. I do not see the "disk1" but an empty box. What does that mean ?

We've been trying to track this issue, but it seems to be so rare that we can't nail it down.

az_r2d1, I'll email you regarding the issue. Please don't do the following fix, because I'd sure like to get my hands on your specific unit to see what I can find out.

For other users experiencing this problem, please post in this thread the issue. In order to fix the problem, you need to force the firmware update, making sure you check all four Config options in the Debug menu. The option that actually fixes it is Rebuild Partition Table, but THIS WILL DELETE ALL DATA! Make sure you have it backed up.

cctl88

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 06:43:51 PM »

hello,  

After i returned the unit, I tried the other brands.  Still liked the buffalo.  so, i repurchased one (livestation 1T).  Hope the problem will not be there. but if it is, I will just just use it as a public share folder.  Moderator, fyi, my old ticket numbers are: 1273804, and 1249937.  

By the way, I forced firmware update twice with debugging options, still did not work.  Where can i get the instruction for Rebuild Partition table?

Also, I am running Window vista 64 bit.  could that be the issue?   Many other brands do not work with 64 bits either. 

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 08:11:07 PM »
cctl88, please post a new thread with a description of the issue.

prycej

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 02:23:31 AM »

I have got the missing Disk1 problem as well and have seen that the force firmware update option apparently does fix this on other streams.  Any progress on a less Data destroying fix before I do this?  Also having some strange problems with WebAccess Externally and permissions (see http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=9627).

Thanks. 

prycej

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 05:24:01 AM »
   Thanks for the answer (on seperate thread).

raspa

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 04:05:10 PM »

I would also like to know if there is another way of fixing the blank volume issue without having to loose all data.

Thanks