Author Topic: Well....it was all was going just fine until....  (Read 1609 times)

uselesspcguy

• Calf
Well....it was all was going just fine until....
« on: April 22, 2012, 01:34:56 AM »

Hi folks....my PC crashed last weekend so just did a factory reset. Had a linkstation (LS-CHL-VD289) working beautifully via my laptop running Windows 7....but on the rebuild something strange has happened...

My network map shows the linkstation but only as a media device - so I cant acccess any of the non media files. In NASNavigator the linkstation shows up ok, but I cannot click on it either to access files.

I tried turning off the firewall but that hasnt worked. I have a feeling this is something elementary but would be sooooooo grateful if anyone could help.

Thanks so much!

Dan

cristen_

• Tatanka
Re: Well....it was all was going just fine until....
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 05:11:23 PM »

If you have the IP address for the unit in the Nas Navigator, have you tried accessing the files by going to Run and then typing in \\IP address of Linkstation? Once you do this, you should see the shared folders you have setup on your unit. After viewing them, right-click on one of the shared folders and you'll be given the option to Map Network Drive, which assigns a drive letter to your shared folder. After mapping the network drive, you should see the drive letter listed under Computer.

uselesspcguy

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 05:35:19 PM »

Thanks for that. i type the IP address into my browser and it takes me to the Buffalo log in screen Once I enter my login and password. I can then see the "info" and "shared" folders in the buffalo screen but I cannot map from there - or indeed access any of the files...any other thoughts please? Thansk very much

uselesspcguy

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 05:38:19 PM »

Oh I also tried putting the IP address into "Run" as you suggest and it doesnt recognise that - ie cant get anywhere. Thanks!

cristen_

• Tatanka
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 05:50:06 PM »

Once you're on your desktop, hit the windows key + R at the same time, which will bring up Run. In the Run box, type in \\ip address of Linkstation. This should allow you to see the shared folders on the unit. Alternately, you can also see if the unit shows up under My Network Places.

uselesspcguy

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 06:04:07 PM »

Tried that and says "Windows cannot find 168.XXX.X.XX"....the drive doesnt show up in my network places either...however it pops up as a media device on the network.