Author Topic: Twonky and LinkStation LS-XHL, LS-WXL, LS-WSXL, LS-VL, LS-WVL, LS-QVL  (Read 51509 times)

Nereos

• Calf
Re: Twonky and LinkStation LS-XHL, LS-WXL, LS-WSXL, LS-VL, LS-WVL, LS-QVL
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 10:21:08 AM »

Anything new on this?

We are in June :)

Regards

kway

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 03:10:42 AM »

will be eager to know if there will be new update on the media server... i find it should at least able to transcode mkv/rmvb files and play on PS3/Xbox with srt subtitles..

Shonk

• Buffalo
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 03:34:40 AM »

transcoding is very slow on a 1.6 ghz kirkwood

I had 38 10min cartoons and 14 movies

it took over two weeks to transcode them

from avc to mpg2

migzy

• Tatanka
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »

had a touch by being able to hack my samsung tv, now i just playmkv from my wxl via a samba share, works a treat and only took 2 minutes to sort out the tv, just followed the instructions on wikipedia fast forward everything works ok, no dlna required

kway

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »

hi migzy, i tried searching but fail to find the instructions on wiki :(

possible to share the link here? thx!

migzy

• Tatanka
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 04:18:28 AM »

so now were into the 18th, is there going to be a release or was it all just a load of lies

eclectice

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 11:19:39 AM »

Thank you, Buffalo Tech for the new Linkstation Pro Duo firmware v1.58 for LS-WVL/E  which I have recently upgraded from.

uname -aLinux LS-WVL0XX 2.6.31.8 #1 Fri Apr 6 14:14:26 JST 2012 armv5tel unknown

However, I realize that when I try to create a new folder (read-and-write-able) for example "users" from the root of /mnt/array1 and try to make it accessible to Windows users via samba installed by default in LS-WVL, the Windows clients are only able to browse/read the folder and execute any file from it but they cannot write to it. Because of the issue, the Windows user will get "Access is denied" for error message "Unable to create new folder".

LinkStation web gui - shared folders

Linkstation web gui - shared folders - users

Access denied when creating a new sub-folder under newly-created users folder 

I think next time, the Linkstation firmware designer needs to make sure the smb.conf created at /etc/samba by LinkStation program /usr/local/sbin/nas_configgen should include samba parameter write list = <list of samba users and groups> when writeable = yes via Linkstation web GUI.

In addition, the newly created folder must be correctly assigned the correct Linux group permission when it is configured via Linkstation web GUI. The best is to use the default hdusers group since Linkstation will update the users under this group as well. The Linux user permission shall be default to root user with chmod -R 777.

/etc/samba/smb.conf
[users]    comment = user personal folders    path = /mnt/array1/users    browsable = yes    printable = no    writable = yes    valid users = user1, user2, @hdusers    read list = user1, user2, @hdusers    write list = user1, user2, @hdusers    force create mode = 775    force security mode = 775    force directory mode = 777    force directory security mode = 777    csc policy = manual    vfs objects = recycle, audit    recycle:repository = trashbox    recycle:keeptree = 1    recycle:versions = 1    recycle:directory_mode = 777    recycle:minsize = 1    audit:facility = LOCAL6    audit:priority = INFO
###users###

Suggested Linux user/group permission setup:

ls -al /mnt/array1/*drwxr-xr-x    9 root     root          106 Jun 22 00:28 .drwxrwxrwx    8 root     root         4096 Jun 21 22:41 ..dr-x------    5 root     root           52 May 28  2011 .hierophantdr-x------   10 root     root          136 Jun 16 10:38 .midbeansdrwx------    2 root     root           22 Jun 21 22:41 mt-daapddrwxrwxrwx    8 root     root          140 Jun 21 22:27 sharedrwxr-xr-x    5 root     root           41 Jun 16 01:10 spooldrwxrwxrwx    4 root     hdusers        37 Jun 21 23:24 users

LinkStation samba view from a Windows SMB client

Users folder

This configuraton must be persistent whenever Linkstation is rebooted.

Other related issue is that the users are also unable to do create a sub-folder under the newly created folder via Linkstation FTP service. It is probably due to incorrect user write permission setting for the FTP service by Linkstation.

Response:    257 "/array1/users" is the current directoryStatus:    Creating directory '/array1/users/New directory'...Command:    MKD New directoryResponse:    550 New directory: Permission deniedCommand:    MKD /array1/users/New directoryResponse:    550 /array1/users/New directory: Permission denied

Currently, it is set as followed at /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf by LinkStation program /usr/local/sbin/nas_configgen with duplicated names (bug?) when it should allowUser under hdusers and AllowGroup hdusers group as well...

/etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf<Directory /mnt/array1/users>  <Limit ALL>    DenyAll    AllowUser admin,user1,user2    AllowGroup hdusers    AllowUser user1,user2,user1,user2,nobody  </Limit>  <Limit READ>    AllowUser admin,user1,user2    AllowGroup hdusers    AllowUser user1,user2,user1,user2,nobody  </Limit>  <Limit WRITE>    Order deny,allow    DenyUser admin,user1,user2    DenyGroup hdusers    DenyUser user1,user2,user1,user2,nobody    DenyAll  </Limit></Directory>

Thank you.

Related reference:

Custom Samba Configuration

SMB.CONF Parameters

Linux File & Folder Permissions

ProFTPD Example Configurations

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 09:23:36 AM »

There has been a delay in releasing FW 1.6x for the linkstations in the Subject line. Our engineers are stating FW 1.6x will be released in mid-July. The engineers and quality depts state that the update will include the Twonky update.

We apologize for the delay; some difficulties were found in the FW code, and these needed to be resolved before releasing this update to our customers.

tilator

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »

drmemory wrote:

There has been a delay in releasing FW 1.6x for the linkstations in the Subject line. Our engineers are stating FW 1.6x will be released in mid-July. The engineers and quality depts state that the update will include the Twonky update.

We apologize for the delay; some difficulties were found in the FW code, and these needed to be resolved before releasing this update to our customers.

Next thing is to let users have serial access to U-boot.

It will make these devices far more interesting to be able to make own alterations ...

wkweksl

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 11:05:16 PM »
Twonky is now updated to 6.0.42-dev after applying DTCP-IP update.

migzy

• Tatanka
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 09:49:47 AM »
Dtcp update does not exist in firmware 1.58

bastono

• Calf
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 09:14:47 PM »

Firmware 1.60 has been released and I was wondering why it's not listed on Buffalo US site.

Anyway, you can get the firmware on Buffalo Asia's or Europe's website.

I just downloaded it and have not had any chance to update my Linkstation.

I believe we will get the update of IP-DTCP v1.6 after ugrading to firmware 1.60.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 08:25:32 AM »

USA Quality engineers will probably finish doing the QA on 1.60 next week, and then release it for the USA downloads

migzy

• Tatanka
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »

firmware installed mkv playback tested on samsung tv works a treat no hacks required :-)