Author Topic: LS-320GL HAS NO FIRMWARE  (Read 7638 times)

mypete

• Calf
LS-320GL HAS NO FIRMWARE
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:01:31 PM »

Hi,

I has a LS-320GL linkstation.  Currently the Nas NAvigator cannot find it.  It has been working fine for the last 18 months.  Then one day about 2 weeks ago it simply would not let me get onto the drive.  There are no beeps, no emergency codes, the drive is running, it powers off and on.  It resets when you push the red button.  I cannot ftp or http to it.  The only thing I see differently is that the FIRMWARE shows ---- inside the navigator.

I have tried the force firmware update but since it doesn't see it nothing happens.  I have tried connecting it directly to my computer with the firewall and antivirus off while resetting it and changing my IP on my coputer.  The results were the same. It is currently connected to my router withno luck.  Also the name in the navigator changed fromGLA63 to GLEMA63.

Has any seen this type of problem before?

as always,

mypete

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: LS-320GL HAS NO FIRMWARE
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 06:20:53 PM »
Force the firmware update with the "delete user config" option selected.

mypete

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:02:53 PM »
   I cannot even get it to recognize the NAS to run the updater.  Buffalo told me to get the firmware for the linkstation pro product line.  It is version 1.15 firmware.  I tried that and it found it once but would not complete the update.  Now when the NAS is powered on the power lights blink for about 3 or 4 minutes then the red error light blinks and the NAS starts to beep.  I tried to count the flashes but there doesn't appear to be any pauses.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 05:51:51 PM »

mypete

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:28:09 PM »

Ok,

Please as I don't want to mess things up.  Please let me know if the below steps are correct.

1) For the LS-320GL I need to download - TFTP Boot Recovery LS-GL 1.11

2)The firmware updater I need to use is firmware 1.15 from the Buffalo Download Site under Linkstation Pro. ( Some post on board mention the                  2.0 which comes up when you click the second dropdown under LS320GL but that is for Linkstation EZ)

3) Both the Lan and Ethernet Adapter on my PC needs to be changed to 192.168.11.1 and 192.168.11.11 

4) During the update...If the updater takes longer than 20 minutes...I should assume something is wrong.

5) During the Update if when the sytems reboots...if it doesn't turn on automatically do I need to push the power button?

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 06:56:21 PM »

1 and 2: Correct.

3: The LAN connection on your PC needs to be set to 192.168.11.1.

4. Correct.

5. It should reboot automatically, but if not, yes, power it back on manually.

mypete

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 09:14:16 PM »

SO the TFTP didn't work.

I had to connect through my router because the 192.168.11.1 wasn't listening unless it was on the router.  It originally sat there for about 4 minutes until the error flashed this time 4 times which showed a flash error per the codes.  I turned it off then tried again connecting it directly to the computer this time the listening was on but nothing happened after about 10 minutes.  The Power light however stopped blinking and the error code went away.  I tried just for kicks to see if the NASNAVI could see it since it stopped blinking and it couldn't.  Now it won't cut off. 

I just checked my router set up and odd enough the DHCP name shows the EM version of my drive but at a different IP.  It is listed as the IP the it was before I reset it.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 10:29:04 AM »
Oops i left out one thing, mypete. After the TFTP software is running and says "Listening on 192.168.11.1", boot the device while holding in the reset button. This should provoke it to make those tftp requests.

mypete

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 01:42:15 PM »
   I actually did that...On try number 3 of course.  That is what stopped the power light from blinking but nothing ever showed up after the last line.  And the nasnavi still couldn't see it after 10 minutes.  It also would not let me power it off.  It powers on now...a day later but it still flashes with the flash error.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 04:18:26 PM »

mypete,

After performing the TFTP steps it should say that some blocks have been served.  At this point DO NOT power off the LS.  Instead, try and run the firmware update (normal or force methods should work).  Hope this helps.

mypete

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 08:03:52 PM »

The TFTP just hangs at accepting requests...The linkstation has a solid green light for power and link and it is connected directly to my computer.  My screen looks just like the picture.   I shut down the firewall and antivirus.  The Blocks served message just isn't coming up.

I ran the NasNavi after about 30 minutes and it found my drive but after everything it gave me the message that it couldn't confirm my drive and aborted it.

Is there some other setting that needs to be adjusted for the TFTP to work. Is there like a TC/IP computer setting that automatically blocks the loading of the software.

Message Edited by mypete on 01-31-2009 08:21 PM

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 01:04:38 PM »
Firewalls can block the software. Make sure they're disabled, and you have the computer set on 192.168.11.1

mypete

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 09:04:23 AM »

I have windows XP Home SP3.

The cable is directly connected to the computer.  The ethernet card and Lan card have been changed to the same subnet as the linkstation.

I have turned off the windows firewall and also deselected the firewall box associated with the adapter and lan.

I have closed down my antivirus software.

The computer is not connected to the internet.  

The updater sees it...goes through the firmware transfer....reboots the linkstation...and finally puts up a window telling me the updater is aborting and to try turning off firewalls.  I can even ping to it.

THe only firewall associated with my computer is the windows one all others are inside my router which isn't connected because the linkstation is using the ethernet port.

Is there a TCIP setting somewhere that makes the updater thinks there is a firewall somewhere?

isaacandy

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 11:33:29 AM »

Hi all, Just wondering if this problem you're having was resolved ? Coz i'm facing the exact problem and cant seem to find any workaround..

Been stuck with this problem for months now. And i'm really getting very tired of this.

Your assistance is much appreciated..

mypete

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 07:45:37 PM »

No I could never get it fixed.