Author Topic: Accessing disk after LS-CH2.0TL failed  (Read 1619 times)

ultimatejoe

• Calf
Accessing disk after LS-CH2.0TL failed
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:01:37 AM »

My Linkstation failed and I (as well as some helpful friends) tried everything in this forum and elsewhere to get it working without success, so I'm prepared to write it off.  I wasn't following the proper power-up/down procedures and probably pooched the thing myself by cutting the power every time I left my condo.

My question is, now that the Linkstation is toast, how do I get data off the drive?  As near as I can tell it works fine.  I've mounted it in my PC (Windows 7 Ultimate), and it detects the disk as well as the partitions, but cannot recognize the filesystem, or access the data.  Is there any way to get Windows to read these disks?

I know that by disassembling the device any Warranty or promise of support is over, but I'd consider it extremely good customer service if Buffalo would help me salvage this data nonetheless, or if one of the knowledgeable people here could comment.  Attached below is a screenshot from the Disk Manager utility.

Disk manager

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Accessing disk after LS-CH2.0TL failed
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:10:02 AM »

I would suggest using UFS explorer to extract the data.

ultimatejoe

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:14:12 AM »

Are you aware of any tools or procedures which would allow me to convert the drive into something usable or make the disk readable in a Windows environment without wiping the data, or to allow the disk to function?  I have backed up a lot of media, and don't any storage big enough to hold it.

Even an explanation on why Windows 7 (which does support GPT disks) can't read it would be extremely useful.

... Not to sound unappreciative mind you.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 10:16:31 AM »

It's a Linux file system called XFS. Windows cannot natively use this file system. To use it with Windows you will need to reformat it which will cause you to lose your data. Once you have used UFS explorer you can back up the data and reformat the disk to a Windows usable format.