Author Topic: HS-DHTGL Emergency Mode - but can't update firmware  (Read 5552 times)

rockytt

• Calf
HS-DHTGL Emergency Mode - but can't update firmware
« on: August 06, 2009, 03:03:44 PM »

I follow all the instructions, and am able to discover my terastation when hardwired to my laptop - however, when I run Update I get the following error messages:

"Couldn't connect on TCP. Updating is aborting"

"HS-DHTGL-EM497 returns an error. (OxFFFFFFFC) Updating is aborted"

So - what can I do next? Does it matter if my laptop is running Vista 64? (Stupid question, but I'm reaching at straws here :))

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: HS-DHTGL Emergency Mode - but can't update firmware
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »
Hmmm, never heard of this one before, try doinjg a force firmware update and check all of the option except rebuild partition table.  Let me know if it updates, or if you get the same error message.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 04:05:42 PM »
Did you download the firmware wireless?

rockytt

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 04:46:36 PM »

Well, I tried this on two different machines, Vista 64 and XP Pro-(yes it was downloaded via wireless on both machines separately)

I got the same error on the Vista box, but the XP gave me a slightly different one when I tried to force it -

After the "Couldn't connect on TCP" messege I got a (ACP_STATE_PID_ERROR) message - does that mean anything (other than I'm probably hosed?)

Thanks for your help btw - I'm still hopefull...

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 04:58:27 PM »

ACP_State errors usually indicate a problem with the motherboard, and that would mean that you would have to replace the unit.  If you updated over wireless I would suggest doing it hardwired.  Josh pointed out that this helped someone who was getting similar errors: http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=SolvedStorageThreads&message.id=2399#M2399

rockytt

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 05:17:32 PM »

I'll try the wired route -

Just for fun-if I have to replace the unit, does that mean all my data is gone for good?

(Can't remember which Raid I specified when I set it up - It's a 2tb terastation and I've got around 1.4 tb of storage total)

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 05:32:21 PM »
No there are different options that you will have to recover the data but it depends on a few things.  When did you purchase it?  I know that you said you didn't know but it can be important.  You may be able to just replace the drives in a new unit to access the data (as it is having MB issues).  You can also hook up the drives to a linux computer or use software recovery programs that specialize in RAID recovery (like UFS explorer).

rockytt

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 11:14:57 PM »
   Is there any way to purchase a replacement motherboard? (MVTS3X-EA)

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 10:10:02 AM »
No, we do not sell replacement motherboards.

BuckHansom

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 03:04:18 AM »

I found this post searching for "updating is aborting."  I just replaced my LS-CH1.OTL 1.0TB because Buffalo Tech Spt thought the first one had a bad mother board.  Tonight while trying to update the firmware from 1.10-0.73 to 1.21-0.88 on my replacement I get "couldn't connect on TCP".  Then I get the same error message (0xFFFFFFFC) as listed in this thread.  I have it hard wired to my PC running Windows XP.

I decided to update the firmware after discovering I can't log in to Web Admin. 

HOLD THE PHONE!!  After about 20attempts at updating it finally worked.  I don't know what changed.

dpast276

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 08:04:57 AM »

Has any 1 found means of obtaining a replacement motherboard for the Terastation.  I am also in need of (MVTS3X-EA) motherboard mine came up with "Ethernet Chip Error E21".  EM mode doesn't help because of E21 error system halts on error and cant do anything else.

oralie

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2022, 12:41:59 AM »
No, there are several options for recovering surviv io the data, however it all depends on a few factors. What year did you buy it? I know you claimed you didn't know, but it could be significant. To access the data, you may only need to replace the disks in a new machine (as it is having MB issues). You can alternatively connect the drives to a linux computer or use RAID-specific software recovery programs (like UFS explorer).