Author Topic: Disk Failure Light After Mac Extended Format  (Read 1257 times)

jvallarino

• Calf
Disk Failure Light After Mac Extended Format
« on: March 19, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »

Just unpacked my Drivestation Duo.  Model # is DriveStation Duo™ USB 3.0 - HD-WLU3R1.

Running Mac OS X 10.7.3 on an intel macbook pro.  Drivestation is in Raid 1 mode

Tried to format to Mac OS Extended several times, but after formatting was completed, drive would not mount.  I was able to format the drive using the procedure described in this thread 

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/Can-t-Erase-Drive-To-Mac-Format/m-p/1342/highlight/true#M1305

Format was succesful, but after repowering the drivestation, I get a red error light on drive one (it was green before formatting).  I don't understand why formatting to Mac OS Extended caused drive 1 to fail.

I pulled out the failed drive and reinserted it.  I got the blinking red light (rebuilding) for about 12 hours.  I came back to find all the status lights on the drivestation off.  I repowered the drivestation and I still have a red failure alarm on drive 1.

It's hard to believe drive 1 failed due to formatting to Mac OS.  Is there anything else I should try?

BuffaloB

• Calf
Re: Disk Failure Light After Mac Extended Format
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 03:24:49 PM »

Does formatting to a different file system actually make a difference?  Most likely it was just that the formatting process revealed a problem in the disk.