Author Topic: Media Server disconnect errors  (Read 16513 times)

tdillon777

• Calf
Media Server disconnect errors
« on: March 14, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »

I have my TS-8VH24 (terastation Pro 8 24TB NAS firmware version 1.10) configured with the Media Server turned on and can access my music and movies from both of my PS3 boxes and music from my Marantz SR5006 receiver.

From both of my PS3 boxes I get the error message: "The PS3 system has been disconnected from the media server" and any music or video that is playing stops and I get bounced back to the main PS3 cross-bar menu. This happens after a minute or two. Even when I am not watching videos or listening to music I see the error message appear.

On my Marantz receiver as I listen to music, there is a buffer indicator that shows 100%. After 30 seconds to a minute of playing, it drops to 0% then the music stops.

Everything is hardwire networked with Netgear Gigabit switches. I have swapped out switches, network cables, and I have two of the same TS-8VH24 (terastation Pro 8 24TB NAS firmware version 1.10) units and both have the same errors/behavior.

I can provide more info if needed.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Media Server disconnect errors
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »

After this happens can you log in to both untis and press control alt shift b and pm me that log file?

iroc1982

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 04:20:24 PM »

I hope there is a fix for this as I am having the same problem with TeraStation Pro™ 6 - TS-6VHL/R6 18TB version.  The NAS worked fine for the first week or so, and now it randomly disconnects.

Drive mappings intermittently fail from both my Windows PC and my ipad, intermittent Media server disconnect errors from both my DLNA Samsung TV's  and my PS3.

No overheating, no power outages or improper shutdowns.

There are no warnings or errors on the front panel of the Terastation itself and I end up having to shut it down using the front panel button. After a reboot all works fine until the behavior repeats itself some time later.

Router is a D-Link 655, I can provide further details.

TeraStation Firmware is v1.10

I can provide log files as well if it helps!

Ian

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:56:48 AM »

Yes, it would be great if you did that. Reset the media settings on your server and then try to connect with your PS3. When it fails log in to the unit and press control alt shift B and send me the log files. I'll see what I can do with them.

tdillon777

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 04:31:47 PM »

How do I log into it? Telnet didn't work. do I need to turn a service on?

tdillon777

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 04:37:58 PM »

Disregard that last post - I figured out what you meant. I have the log files how do i send them to you? email address?

iroc1982

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 04:48:20 PM »

Tdillion777,  What did you end up doing to get the proper log files?  I was going to send mine as well, I dont know if I did it correctly or not.

tdillon777

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 10:54:32 PM »

I used the web admin GUI used to configure the Terastation. From the home page I did the ctrl-alt-shift-b

This kicked off a "save-as" prompt and I got a gzip tar file (mine was filename 4CE6761F2EAE.tgz) of var/log

I'm just not sure how to get it to JOTIN

iroc1982

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 12:43:59 PM »

Ok, I think I did the same thing only, I went into the system / maintenence / syslog and turned everything on to export the log file to the drive.   

Let me know if you figure anything out and I will do the same.

Ian

tdillon777

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 12:52:05 PM »

Good idea. I'm running tests right now - playing music and video from my PS3 and playing music from my Marantz receiver. I'm running into the same issues so I'm hoping capturing some helpful info in the logs.

iroc1982

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 01:05:40 PM »

In my case it seems to have started as I copied more and more of my old content on to the terra station.  I am up to 6 or so TB's now, and I cant stay connected for more than 30 seconds at most.  It will cut off the PS3, and TV's simultaneously.  

Hopefully Jotin will provide us an email address and with any luck maybe they can determine the problem by comparing the log files as it seems we are suffering the exact same thing.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 01:41:32 PM »

You guys can send them to info@buffalotech.com Attention Justin D. I appreciate you guys taking the time to send me these logs. I can test a unit with my Ps3 and see if I have the some problem that you all are having.

fgl87

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 06:01:54 AM »

Hi everyone,

I've bought a LS-XHL Linkstation pro 2TB from the internet, and set it up yesterday.

Everything went very well and I was very pleased with the device. I downloaded a couple of movies using the bittorrent client, and during the evening I was watching one of them on my LG-DP1W media streamer via DLNA.

After about 15 to 20 minutes playing the movie, it suddenly stopped playing. I restarted the streamer and wasn't able to connect to the LS-XHL at all. I tried connecting through my win7 pc, but the NasNavigator nor the webgui was accessible. I went to take a look at the device, which I planted in a cabinet, to find out the LED was flickering blue infinitely. I decided to turn it off but, just as mentioned by many people on the internet, it wouldn't shut down.

So I pulled the plug and waited for complete silence and then I turned it back on. Sadly the device wasn't able to boot for the LED began flickering blue again. I was hoping that this had something to do with some kind of checkdisk service, so I left it doing whatever it was doing overnight. Expecting to see it up and running again, I was disappointed to find out it was still in the state I left it in.

A couple of tries didn't solve the problem, so I decided to look further. I've managed, after 20 times pulling the plug, to get the LED to solid blue state. Now I'm trying to reflash my firmware with LSupdater. It says it's transferring the firmware, but it's going insanely slow.. at least 10x slower than last time I've updated the firmware. I'm waiting for it to finish, but I feel this isn't going to end well... I'll let you guys know.

Anyway.. is there a known cause for this? I certainly don't want this to happen again, if I manage to get this fixed at all that is.... I was running stock firmware ls_series-156, same firmware I'm trying to restore now. Bittorrent client was active, also downloading in the background I guess, would this have anything to do with the device screwing up? I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Edit:

If I'm able to get any logs on this event I'll share it, but I think that the firmware update will erase this. In that case I'll do so if it happens again. 

Update:

After SLupdater finished, it said it had failed to get a response or something like that.. mentioning something about windows firewall. I'm certain everything is off and connected the right way.. 200%. The device did nothing, showing a solid blue light. I pulled the plug to reboot manually, and after that it suddenly flashed orange a couple of times followed but rapid blue flashes. The device rebooted itself, and now it's back to flashing blue infinitely.. :'(

Should I try the full procedure again? Or should I flash an older firmware (I personally don't think that would help though...). I don't want to lose my files, so I didn't do a partion table rebuild, I could try that as an ultimate last resort I guess..

Any comments / advise on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 02:03:35 PM »

Try FAQ 2 of 5 in safe mode with networking FGL87.

I received logs from Dillion but no one else yet. Mr. Dillion, could you send me the log files for both units?

iroc1982

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 02:05:05 PM »

Hi Jotin,

I will get them to you ASAP, I am in the process of renovating and had to disconnect everything paint.

I will keep you updated.

Ian