Author Topic: LS-CHL vs iPhone  (Read 46789 times)

Mondongo

• Calf
Re: LS-CHL vs iPhone
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 01:06:14 AM »

Guys, I'm gonna add my two cents worth here, even though I don't have a LS-CHL. It seems the authentication issue may be more pervasive...

I have a LinkStation Mini LS-WSGL/R1 F/W 1.06

I can use BuffaloNas just fine with my iPhone 3G 2.2.1, I can access everything. The moment I tried to use authentication, my media will NOT play, whether it is protected with DRM or unprotected. Access via WiFi or 3G makes no difference. BTW, some people may be having trouble with the authenticated login because they need to forward port 443 (HTTPS) to the device.

When I initially access the LinkStation via HTTPS, I get an invalid certificate warning. If I disregard it, I will gain access to the unit, but media will not play. Removing the secure login and restarting the unit will fix access to all files and media.

This is not a huge deal for me, but I would really like to access my drive via HTTPS. 

peternie

• Calf
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2009, 01:58:16 AM »

Hi Mondongo,

Thanks for your two cents ;-)

I think we have two different problems. The known https-bug you mentioned in your comment and a new one since rollout of the new firmware. I hadn't any trouble before 3.09 (on the LS PRO DUO), I used 3.07 until last week. With 3.07 I could use the iPhone without problems, only the streaming-bug with https exists, but with 3.09 iPhone-access is dead.

Buffalo, please fix it ! 

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 01:03:01 PM »

northernlights: I've been talking back and forth with our corporate office about this issue to make sure they have as much information as possible to ensure the fix comes out ASAP. Please continue to be patient with us, we're going as fast as we can.

Mondongo: TCP 443 is the standard port for HTTPS, but the Webaccess feature runs on TCP 9000, regardless of whether SSL is enabled or not. Forwarding TCP 443 shouldn't make a difference... if it does, they're something even stranger going on...

peternie: you are correct, there are two different issues raised in this thread.

To future posters: It's pretty clear that there is a widespread issue with the iPhone and mp3 playback through Webaccess when HTTPS/SSL is enabled, so we don't really need any more info on that issue. We could use more information on the issue with iPhone getting the message "could not access share". To assist us in diagnosis, again, please post the following information:

Model number

Firmware version

Country/Region

All Web Access settings, not including name/key.

Mondongo

• Calf
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2009, 08:24:56 PM »
   @Colin: In my particular case, Webaccess WITH SSL will NOT work at all unless I also forward port 443 to the unit. Even with port forwarded, media will NOT play. I'm using an Apple Airport Extreme router.

northernlights

• Calf
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2009, 12:06:31 AM »

OK Colin, I was feeling a little frustrated with it that day. Simply put & speaking for myself though, until the feature set promised on the box are functioning correctly I believe I have every right to be cross & ask for updates/press for resolution.

Those promises influenced my decision to buy your product. This includes the flakey bittorrent client.

I would not expect to buy a new car & be told that although yes the demo car was perfect, but my cars' stereo was broken & the rear view mirror keeps falling off for now, but to 'be patient' we will have a fix for you 'soon'.  Unacceptable.

It's a pervasive trend started by the software industry & their 'day one' patch nonsense & has trickled through to most electronics these days. Sadly it engenders the 'get it out the door, we'll fix it next revision' philosophy. Not your fault Colin, I know, but you're the rep round here.

Sad thing is a bit more testing on Buffalos' side & I'd be spending this last half hour more constructively than bitching on a forum & acting like a d**k! This is NOT fun for me! 

How long should I wait before raising a complaint?

Regardless, here's the full info, hope it helps:

LS-CHL1.0

F/W: reported as 1.06 on LS but was updated to euro 1.064

::Web Access ::

Test folder properties:
Web Access Settings: Use Inherited Folder Permissions

:service Setup:

HTTPS/SSL Encryption: Off
Use BuffaloNAS.com: Enable
Auto-Configure Firewall (UPnP): Disable
External Port:9000

::Shared folder setup::

Properties of my test folder:
Shared Folder Support: windows, apple (tried apple enabled/disabled - no change)
Shared Folder Attributes: read/write
Recycle Bin: Disable

Access restrictions: enabled
No group access selections.

users: iphone, PC & admin users allowed read/write access

:Shared Folders Service Setup:
Appletalk / FTP disabled (didn't work with either enabled)
Message Edited by northernlights on 02-14-2009 06:13 AM

Livingdog

• Calf
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2009, 07:06:01 PM »

OK... although I had tried that before, I went back again and changed permissions/restrictions to none... even tried all anonymous users... and still, no access to the share(s) (I have 3 setup, thus the purpose of restricted access to various users) and akthough those shares were all set up identically (Access Restrictions disabled), I still can not access them on the iPhone. Again, I've tested the access on (2) smartphones (both HTC's running winmo), an Apple MacBook Pro, and various (I work in an IT department) laptops/desktops running a) Linux, b) Windows (XP/Vista) and Apple OS Tiger.

Now, that being said, it is rather disheartening and strange that I had full capabilities (and I use them often in my photography business) to access all my shares on my iPhone before updating to 3.09, and now no matter what I've done, I get the same error ...

Mondongo

• Calf
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2009, 11:51:57 PM »
   You could probably back flash to the earlier version of the firmware...

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 04:05:28 PM »

We don't have a copy of 3.07 available, but I'll look into it. 3.08 is available on our ftp site:

ftp://24.153.165.234/disk1/share/LS%20Pro%20Duo/2%20usb%20model/lswtgl-3.08.zip

adamk

• Calf
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »

Here's my info -

Model: Linkstation Live 1TB (black one with bittorrent)

Model #: LS-CH1.0TL

Firmware: 1.06

Setting web access to "Use inherited permissions" seems to block all iPhone access even when entering the correct credentials, switching it to "Allow All Groups/Users" seems to allow access again.  HTTP/SSL is off, I haven't tried with it on (but I can't see how it would help the problem).

Adam

killko

• Calf
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 07:00:53 PM »
   Hi,

I have the exact same error, with an iPhone 3G in the US running 2.2.1, and my LinkStation Pro Duo running 3.09.

I tried both anonymous access or all users without success.

I have Movies on my LinkStation, and I can actually connect and watch the movie from my iPhone if I enter the full URL to the movie file. For example typing http://192.168.1.203:9000/?location=/share/mymovie.m4v will play thew movie on my iPhone,
but just typing http://192.168.1.203:9000/ or http://192.168.1.203:9000/?location=/share/ will get me to the "User is not allowed access..." msg.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2009, 01:39:04 PM »

freakthemighty

• Calf
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2009, 09:33:20 AM »

i do have the same problem.

when i try to access my buffalo linstation pro duo (1tb) with the firmware 3.0.9 with my iphone (3g firmware 2.2.0 - jailbreaked, vodafone germany) i get no autherization to access my files by the message: 'User is not allowed access to this share' . and in the right corner there is the user shown (when i have a password setup) or there is a field wich shows login (when i have set my device to anonymous access).

it works with pc`s and mac`s like before. just my iphone is not allowed to access the files.

when i go directly to a file by typing in the path for example to a film (in safari on the iphone...when my username is shown in the right corner) i get access and my iphone plays the film like it should do. strange.

in the evening i will try to flash the linkstation with the firmware 3.0.7 and see whether it works.

`cause this will confirm that it is the firmware 3.0.9 and not an updated version of the webaccesss from buffalo or the iphone firmware.

does anyone tried the 3.0.7 firmware and had success?

and does anyone tried this with a linkstation live with bittorrent client?

by the way does anyone tested a linkstation live (bittorrent client) with timemachine? does it work?

philipp

linkstation pro duo 1tb - fw 3.0.9

iphone 3g fw 2.2.0 - jailbreaked

vodafone germany

mac osx 10.4.11

pc xp sp3

freakthemighty

• Calf
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2009, 05:03:48 PM »

i just flashed my linkstation pro duo to 3.0.7 (downgrade via debug mode).

but i still cannot access the drive with my iphone 3g.

"user is not allowed access to this share" again.

frustrating...if you can`t do nothing....and before it worked!

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2009, 12:19:18 PM »

freakthemighty, try resetting the device to defaults from the web interface.

My corporate office is trying to find more information to diagnose the problem. If you're seeing the "user is not allowed access to this share" message on your iPhone or iPod touch, please post as much info as possible... model number, web access settings (except name and key) including shared folder settings, port forwarding settings, model and firmware of router, how the device is connected, firmware versions you've tried, any access restrictions on the folders, etc.

freakthemighty

• Calf
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2009, 03:16:44 PM »

hey colin, i did as you told me.

i resetted the linkstation through the web interface.

then i set everything up new......and there it was....the same error "user is not allowed access to this share"!

here are the deatails:

- iphone 3g firmware 2.2.0

- browser safari mobile (the "only" one on the iphone)

- model number LS-WTGL/R1-V3 F/W 307

- web access service - enable (haha)

- https/ssl encryption - disable

- use buffalo nas - enable

- auto-configure firewall (upnp) - disable

- external port - 9000

- shared folder support - windows, apple

- shared folder attributes - read/write

- recycle bin - disable

- volume - raid array 1

- access restrictions - enable

- router linksys wag 160n firmware 1.00.09

- port forwarding: 9000-9000 both .....static ip-adress

- port triggering: triggering start port 9000 end port 9000, forwarding start port 9000 end port 9000

- the device is connected with the router with a cat6 lan-cable

- i updated from fw 3.0.3 (wich worked) to 3.0.9 (no access) and then downgraded to fw 3.0.7 (no access)

- access restrictions on the folder: one user can read and one user can read and write

if you need any other information, please let me know and i will give my best....so do you

thanks in forward

freakthemighty