Author Topic: LS-CHL vs iPhone  (Read 46966 times)

nakednut

• Calf
Re: LS-CHL vs iPhone
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2009, 08:33:35 AM »

I am having some problems with my iphone also:

1. I can access the buffalnas.com from my iphone via wifi, but it will not play video or mp3.

2. I cannot access it at all using the 3G network. I get "Safari cannot open the page because the server stopped responding"

Any ideas would be appreciated..

oddlife

• Calf
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2009, 12:10:24 AM »

I see there is a firmware "update" for the LS-CHL dated 2009-03-05. However the version is lower than before being just 1.07 and also it is for the LS-CL and not the LS-CHL.  So essentially this isn't going to work for anyone with a LS-CHL.  I even tried to run the updater and got a message saying there was no LS-CL found that needed updating.

If there is a fix available now can it be posted to the correct location?

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2009, 03:34:16 PM »
Everything in the zip says LS-CHL, and even in the updater. I suspect you may have downloaded the wrong one. Here is the direct link: http://www.buffalotech.com/support/getfile/?lschl-107.zip

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2009, 03:36:06 PM »

nakednut- Have you tried the same stuff as the others, that is, firmware update and reset to defaults?

Also, which product and firmware do you have?

Message Edited by Colin137 on 03-07-2009 03:36 PM

gerlo

• Calf
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2009, 03:42:24 AM »

What i did not mention in my setup was that i have multiple (5) shared folders. Only a 2 of them have web access enabled. I (the logged on user) have read and write rights on all shares.

Maybe you can try this in the lab ?

Edit: 

Tried new testuser with access to only on share, and enabled only 1 share for web access, but still got same result ('user is not allowed to access this share') . Mabye I should try with only 1 share, but than i would lose data....

Message Edited by gerlo on 03-08-2009 09:56 AM

oddlife

• Calf
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2009, 05:50:44 AM »

It was wrong on the site when I downloaded it a couple days ago.  But it had been fixed the next day.  I tried that firmware link yesterday (had to force install it), but afterwards the iPhone still was giving the same error message. 

The firmware from the http://www.buffalotech.com/support/getfile/?lschl-107.zip link was the same exact version number as what was already in my LinkStation, so forcing the install was still necessary but afterwards there didn't appear to be any changes.  So my assumption is that link is just sending us to the same version as before, which was 1.07.165, or something like that.  I would guess if there was a new version, for real, it would have a higher version number.

Anyway, it still isn't working for me, but not sure if anyone else has had success or not.

dolphinbuff

• Calf
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2009, 11:50:31 PM »

I've used LinkStation 1 TB LS-CHL F/W 1.02. I can access by my Ipod Touch Gen1 fw 2.2.1 I can browse and play

mp3, m4v, pdf, pics, with wifi nothing problem but I really need more feature "add media file to playlist".

FrDakota

• Calf
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2009, 10:14:04 AM »

Hi all!

I have the LS Pro Duo 1T and read this interesting thread.

I have to concur about all the problems detailed here, but I think that it lies mostly with the iPhone. (I have a V1)

MobileSafari doesn't seem to like the way the share listing is generated dynamically (by javascript only if I found right)

Besides you can't access a share (not Safari's fault since it happens also on desktop browsers) by having an address  like that.

http://192.168.1.18:9000/shares/Mes_videos/  gives a 404 error. (not even listing denied)

But we can directly access a file with full path.

One solution would be that the user creates a simple "index.html" file for each  folder containing files and subfolders to access.

And so I can type http://192.168.1.18:9000/shares/Mes_videos/ in MobileSafari and have a list of the folder content since I put the index file in it.

Another way would be that the NAS generates itself a virtual index.html file for each folders when we want to access a share by giving the path to it.

A .m3u file cannot be used, MobileSafari doesn't handle it.

This is an example of the index.html I put in my " Mes_videos " share.

<html>
<head>
<title>Playlist</title>
</head>
<body bgcolor="white" text="blue">

<a href="iPhone_videos/ABBA - The last video.mov">ABBA - The last video[/url]

<a href="iPhone_videos/Amy MacDonald - This is the life.m4v">Amy MacDonald - This is the life[/url]

<a href="iPhone_videos/Anna Nalick - Breathe (2 AM).m4v">Anna Nalick - Breathe (2 AM)[/url]

<a href="iPhone_videos/Delta Goodrem - In This Life.m4v">Delta Goodrem - In This Life[/url]

<a href="iPhone_videos/Stanislas & Calogero - La d&eacute;bâcle des sentiments.m4v">Stanislas & Calogero - La d&eacute;bâcle des sentiments[/url]

<a href="iBook_G4_14_Hard_Drive_Replacement.pdf">iBook_G4_14_Hard_Drive_Replacement.pdf[/url]

</body>
</html>

" iPhone_videos " is a sub folder in my share, with this I can play the files supported by my iPhone. :smileyvery-happy:

But! NOT in SSL.

In SSL MobileSafari has no problem to list the files with the index.html but it cannot play them, this is caused I think by the fact that Safari must be sending directly a multimedia link to a QuickTime layer that is incapable of handling SSL.

But, the PDF file cached (unscrambled) by Safari could be opened without problem in SSL.

A possibility would be to use a VPN connection to the NAS (without SSL of course) to have access to multimedia files.

I hope my comments helped to advance in this issue. :smileywink:

thierryg92

• Calf
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2009, 06:43:22 PM »

HI

ls mini V 1.06

just a trick that must be confirm to bypass the "user is not allowed to access this share" message

Create à share folder without access restrictions, allow web access anonymously to this folder.

try to connect with safari to buffalonas.com, you get automatically on this folder and a login button is accessible...log with your login/password...and now you can access your datas without the "user is not allowed to access this share" message.

It works for me with IRIS browser, a SAFARI based browser for windows mobile...

Confim me if that works for you too !!!

gerlo

• Calf
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2009, 05:03:25 AM »

Great trick ! Works like a charm. I created a 'public' folder with anonymous rights. But this raises another issue: How do you create a public folder with write rights, where anyone can place documents without logging in ?

@colin: any news about the issues in this tread ? If the https issue cannot be resolved on the iphone, could it be possible to make the https setting dependent on the folder? This way you could create a http folder for your media and a https folder for your documents.

Message Edited by gerlo on 03-21-2009 11:06 AM

thierryg92

• Calf
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2009, 10:56:25 AM »

@ gerlo :

nice to see that works for you too...

I've searched a little how to create a public folder with write right..sorry i didn't find the way !!!

smoke90

• Calf
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2009, 05:31:55 PM »

Hey northernlights,

Thanks for fighting the good fight on this. I've experienced the same issue with my LS-CHL500L. I've followed everything in this post and all I could find that would work is creating a share that Allows Anonymous users. The iPhone will then see the user authenticated share folders. It's an okay work around, but by no means how it should be functioning. any news Colin137? Will the new iPhone App take care of this?

shein87

• Calf
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2009, 12:23:53 PM »

Hi

Setup:
LS-CHL 1.07 EU
iPhone 3G 2.2.1

I recently updated the Linkstation to the 1.07 (had 1.06 on it before working with iPhone)
I have read the post and have tried to make a blank share and make it anonymus. And i can confirm its working, but without it i can't get it to work.

Is there a new firmware on the way to correct this? 

jeffla

• Tatanka
Re: LS-XHL vs iPhone
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2009, 11:23:21 PM »

Any updates?  My LS-XHL does not work with my USA iphone.  Standard error message.

LS-XHL (1.03)

iphone (2.2.1)

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2009, 12:24:51 PM »

shein87,

If it worked on 1.06, try getting that firmware version from the European Tech Support, they may have a copy.

jeffla,

What do you mean by "standard error message"?