Author Topic: Terastation Pro 1 join Windows Server 2008 domain  (Read 17757 times)

wyhpower

• Calf
Terastation Pro 1 join Windows Server 2008 domain
« on: October 04, 2008, 12:21:20 AM »

I formally join Terastation pro 1 to windows server 2003 r2, using doamin to authenticate users without any problems. But after I upgraded the domain from server 2003 Enterprise r2 to server 2008 Enterprise, I can't join Terastation pro 1 to server 2008 domain anymore.

Please HELP!! 

Is the any firmware or tricks can do to solve the problem??

MANY THX

sfx

• Calf
Re: Terastation Pro 1 join Windows Server 2008 domain
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 06:35:34 AM »

We have exactly the same problem with our Terrastation Pro II (Rackmount).

I have the Terrastation Pro II upgraded to firmware version 1.27 but it doesn't help.

With a Windows Server 2003 Domain with Windows Server 2003 DCs I have no problem, but authenticating to a windows Server domain 2008 with Windows Server 2008 DCs I have following error:

Failed to join Active Directory Domain

Please confirm the Active Directory Domain setting information, Administrator user name and password.

Many THX in advanced.

Felix

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 09:12:40 AM »
Buffalo is currently working on a firmware that will allow the devices to join a 2008 AD in the mean time they will not authenticate.

paulvaswani

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »

I have the idential problem with a Linkstation Pro Duo - was connected to a 2003 server AD quite happily but will not connect to my new 2008 server AD.  Is there a firmware update pending for that problem and, if so, any idea of the timescale?

Many thanks,

Paul

ScottP

• Tatanka
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 12:25:05 PM »

Buffalo is aware of issues connecting to Windows Server 2008, and have teams working on a solution in the form of a firmware update for the LinkStation and TeraStation products.

At this time there is no release date set, even tentatively, for this update.  As soon as possible would be the best answer for now.

paulvaswani

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 03:25:00 AM »

Many thanks for your reply.

I have to say that when I purchased a product, six months after the release of Server 2008, which claims in its sales blurb that "As an Active Directory client the Pro Duo can integrated into any business Network" I didn't think to ask whether they actually meant the current version of Active Directory.  Let the buyer beware, I guess, but I can't help thinking that Buffalo are having a laugh.

Rant over.

asupoly

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 12:29:38 PM »

We have a Terastation Pro II which we have been trying to join to our AD 2003 windows domain.  During the stage after the screen "logging onto Active Directory", we receive the error:

"Failed to join Active Directory Domain.
Please confirm the Active Directory Domain setting information, Administrator user name and password."

Does anyone have any suggestions.  We saw this thread and read there were two seperate instances of success with this process so hope to gain some insight as to what our problem might be.

Thank you.

paw063008

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 09:22:32 PM »
   Hi Asupoly! Did you create a Username and Password for the TeraStation on your Domain? and don't forget to synch the time of the NAS to your PC/Domain..

asupoly

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 01:57:17 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

We did create a service account in our domain.  It is a member od "Domain Users" at thsi point.

As for the time sync, are there special steps needed to do this on the Terastation side other than setting our time zone?  If so, can you point me to the steps?

We appreciate any assistance you can provide.

paw063008

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 07:58:26 PM »
   The TeraStation's user account should have an admin rights. For the time synching you just have to click the "Use Local Time" button under Basic.

asupoly

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 08:07:05 PM »

We will give this a try and see what happens.  Once the TS is able to join the domain, can the TS account be removed from the Domain Admin group without any issues?

paw063008

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 08:13:46 PM »
   You cannot remove it bec. the NAS will use it just like any other users.

blugecoSRL

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 05:48:39 AM »

I need to join a LinkStation Pro Duo to a Windows Server 2008 domain, is still an issue?Is there any workaround?

thanks

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 12:48:51 PM »
Buffalo is still working on the firmware for 2008 AD

paulvaswani

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 04:53:10 AM »

Are you sure that is the case?  I have had a long series of communications with Buffalo Tech Support about my Linkstation Pro Duo and AD2008 connectivity.  The last communication I had from them is copied below.  Basically, the Tech Support agent said it was a no-hoper and that I should return the unit for a refund...

Paul

Dear Paul

I note your point and do understand that the AD integration is not overly specific in relation to what will or will not work.

However, as mentioned before nothing that we do is going to get this device working with server 2008 which means the unit does need to be returned to your supplier for a refund.

If, after giving your supplier the details of the current situation they fail to refund you, please let us know and we can draw up a document that will allow them to refund you.

Regards

Gerard

Buffalo Technical Support