Author Topic: Terastation Pro 1 join Windows Server 2008 domain  (Read 17751 times)

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Terastation Pro 1 join Windows Server 2008 domain
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 11:40:36 AM »

What region of tech support did you contact? 

paulvaswani

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 04:20:04 AM »

I have been working with the support team in Ireland, which I assume is my 'local' one as I am based in the UK.

Paul 

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 08:54:40 AM »

What Paul is saying about the firmware is correct, it is being developed however for the American Market and not the European market, the European market is notorise for lagging behind with firmware upgrades. Basically you have 2 options as i see it,

1. Return the unit to the retailer for a refund.

2. Wait for the US firmware to be released, install and void your warranty.

Personally id go for option 1.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Billcox

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
   I have the same issue with Linkstation LS-GL F/W 1.11 and Windows 2008 AD.  Is there a new firmware in the works for this model?

Billcox

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 09:59:41 AM »

Just bumping this back to the top.  This has been a know issue for many months and no word from Buffalo?  Several other NAS manufactures have had the same issue but already addressed the problem.

Anyone want to buy a Linkstation Pro? 

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 11:04:08 AM »
Buffalo US has pushed out several firmware versions to address this issue, currently we have our rackmount and all pro IIs set up for AD 2008.  At this time I do not have any conformation on many more units will support 2008. 

Billcox

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 10:31:15 AM »

OK, thank you for the response.  So it sounds like any Linkstation Pro or Terastation I Pro users are out of luck if they upgrade to 2008 AD.

Anyone out there have experience with the non-Buffalo firmwares for Linkstation Pro?  Any of them work with Win2008 AD?

Noel_Wise

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 10:39:56 AM »

Confirming the Linkstation Pro Duo will not join 2008 AD.  Gets as far as the User name and password which it does not like.

Thanks.

miafya

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 07:10:31 AM »
   After installing the latest 3.09 firmware (released 1/23/09) I can now join to my AD 2008 domain with my Linkstation Pro Duo. I did not have to restore to default settings or anything. Just applied the firmware and joined the domain without any problems.

Billcox

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 04:04:08 PM »
   Now if Buffalo would only release something for the LinkStation Pro!  There hasn't been a new firmware since '07. 

Synocus

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 06:45:39 AM »

So, our story:

Our domain was run by two domain controllers, both Windows Server 2003. One of them failed recently, and we decided to move on to Windows Server 2008. However, after Windows Server 2008 was installed and that server made a DC, the TeraStation Pro 1 started to fail. The symptoms were simply that I could no longer write to the TeraStation share at all. In my frustration, I resetted the device to default settings and started trying to add it back to the domain. With no luck. 

I've been in contact with the support, and I've upgraded the firmware to 1.04, however I try I simply can't get the TeraStation to join the ADS domain. The last thing they asked me was whether I had Windows Server 2008 domain controllers, and when I said yes, they implied that the only option would be to use the TeraStation in an environment with Windows Server 2003 DCs only. 

So I guess us TeraStation Pro I e.g. TS GTL/R5 users are out of luck, until a patch comes. And this is in July 2009...

Synocus 

MHL

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 01:56:51 PM »
   We have a customer with a TS-H4.0TGL/R5 4TB Terastation Pro II.  We are installing a Windows 2008 AD Server for them.

I have seen conflicting informaton regarding compatiblity with Windos 2008 Active Directory.

Can someone confirm if this model is compatible with Win 2008 AD?

sdukart

• Calf
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009, 05:47:53 PM »

Has an update been released to address adding a Terastation Pro 1 to a Windows Server 2008 domain?

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 03:20:28 AM »

Try this.

Does your domain controller requireDigitally Signed SMB Packets? On Windows 2003 Server these policiesare enabled by default.  They need to be set to 'Disable', not'Enable', or 'Not Defined'.  If not I would initialize the unitand set it back up.  Make sure the settings are correct:

Configuring the Buffalo Nas forActive Directory:

• A computer account with the name   of the Buffalo NAS needs to be created on the domain. It needs to be   configured so that a pre-2000 machine can use this account.    

• In "IP Address Properties"   under "Network", the DNS server address needs to be set to   the Domain Controller's address.    

• The clock on the Buffalo needs   to be set to the same timezone as the Domain Controller and the   times need to be with in 5 minutes of each other.    

• The "Workgroup/Domain"   page under "Network" needs to be set to the following   settings - If ever a field is too short to enter the full   information (particularly the Domain Name and the Domain Controller   fields) they need to be filled in as much as possible:    

Workgroup and Domain Properties:

• Network Type: "Active Directory"    

• Active Directory Domain Name (NetBIOS Name): NETBIOS Legacy   Domain name, ex. "DOMAIN"    

• Active Directory Domain Name (DNS/Realm Name): Full Domain   name, ex. "domain.com"    

• Active Directory Domain controller Name: Domain Controller   name, ex. "server"    

• AD Administrator Name & AD Administrator Password: The   user name and password of an account with administration privileges   so the Buffalo can properly be added to the network. This   information will not be stored.    

• WINS Server IP Address: IP   address of the WINS server (if not using WINS, enter domain   controller's IP address)    

MAKE SURE THAT YOUR GMT IS SET CORRECTLY!  GO HERE AND DOUBLE CHECK. 

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

Message Edited by JoshC on 09-28-2009 03:21 AM

ppait

• Calf
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 04:56:39 PM »

I have a TeraStation Pro II (rackmountable) in production, and I'd really like to upgrade to a Windows 2008-based domain, so this may be a huge problem.

I emailed Buffalo support about this and got this message:

Currently, Windows Server 2008 in an unsupported OS for the Terastation Pro II.  I have talked to customers who have gotten it to work. However, we here are unable to aid you with it.

I'm going to receive a new higher capacity TeraStation Pro II soon to function as a backup NAS server, but before I put it in place, I'm going to test it in our lab environment on Windows 2008.  I'll post the results here.

Also, if any of you are having trouble with the NAS in Windows 2008, this might help you out:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942564

It's a security risk, but I believe no more of a security risk that what is currently in Windows Server 2003.