Author Topic: TeraStation III (TS-XL/R5 - 8TB) starts to become unresponsive  (Read 4752 times)

Malvado

• Calf
TeraStation III (TS-XL/R5 - 8TB) starts to become unresponsive
« on: February 08, 2012, 12:57:48 PM »

Well I have had my TeraStation III (TS-XL/R5 - 8TB) for almost 9 month now and keep running into 1 issue on this device, just trying to figure out if anyone else is having issues or if it just me.

The issue is that after about 7 to 10 days, this unit starts to become unresponsive. Some of the things work and others don't and when this happens and reboot the Terrastation I have to reload the firmware as it goes into EM Mode.

When the unit is working properly I have no issues, with Media, Share, BItTorrent, FTP, etc....

When the unit starts to act up I get intermitent share drop, Media Server  does not update. Torrent sometime work etc... and this NAS is being accessed by Windows and MAC and I have the same issue from both systems.

Also when this happens and I try to login to the WEB UI, I get logged out right away with "Sessions has expired" so I can't even get in to it. I have to manualy reboot this device.

This is where it gets to be fun!!  after every time this happens the NAS goes into EM Mode and I have to reload the firmware, and after that everything is working fine again.

Buffalo Support has been less then helpful on this, so I am trying to see if this is something with my unit or a bug in thier firmware, I am currently running 1.55 and this has happened on all firmware I have tried, I have not had a stable unit yet.

Any info would be greatly helpful in this.

Malvado.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: TeraStation III (TS-XL/R5 - 8TB) starts to become unresponsive
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:16:52 AM »

It sounds like someone is just unplugging it to turn it off. Doing this all the time will cause the exact issues that you are having. You need to make sure that it has constant power and that the unit is being turned off properly. If this is the case then there may be a physical issue with the unit itself.

Malvado

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »

I can assure this is not loosing power, as I have my Cisco Switch and Cisco Firewall plugged into the same outlet, they have thier own dedicated 15A circuit.

once this issue starts to happen where i get intermitted drive access and get the failure to login to the website "Session Expired" msg. Once I manually reboot the device that is when it goes into EM Mode.

Is there any log file I can post? or somewhere I can look to see what is going on?

duke

• Tatanka
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:22:52 PM »

@Malvado:

Just a thought... Is your NAS getting overheated in time... Do you think there is enough air circulation around HDDs... and NAS control boards?

Malvado

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:00:07 PM »

Sorry for the late response...

No the unit is not over heating, it is in a cool place and lots of ventalation.

tdillon777

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »

I am having the similar problem that you are. I am using the TS-8VH24 (terastation Pro 8 24TB NAS) firmware version 1.10.

It runs fine for a while then it becomes unresponsive - Drive mappings intermittantly fail from both my Windows PC and my Mac, intermittant Media server disconnect errors from both my AV receiver and my PS3, and eventually the Terastation becomes unresponsive to pings.

No overheating, no power outtages or improper shutdowns.

There are no warnings or errors on the front panel of the Terastation itself and I end up having to shut it down using the front panel button. After a reboot all works fine until the behavior repeats itself some time later.

Everything is networked with Netgear Gigabit switches.

iroc1982

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »

I am having the same problem with TeraStation Pro™ 6 - TS-6VHL/R6 18TB version.  The NAS worked fine for the first week or so, and now it randomly disconnects.

Drive mappings intermittently fail from both my Windows PC and my ipad, intermittent Media server disconnect errors from both my DLNA Samsung TV's  and my PS3.

No overheating, no power outages or improper shutdowns.

There are no warnings or errors on the front panel of the Terastation itself and I end up having to shut it down using the front panel button. After a reboot all works fine until the behavior repeats itself some time later.

Router is a D-Link 655, I can provide further details.

Tera Station Firmware is v1.10

Riprap

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 05:21:50 PM »

As I have the exact same model and the exact same problem (even with the lastest firmware 1.56 and an air-conditioned room), I would be grateful to know if you ever found a resolution?

Cheers

tdillon777

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 09:19:50 AM »

So far I have not found (or heard of) a solution for this. I simply have to wait till it happens then press the power button on the front of the unit to initiate a reboot.

Fortunately, one of my two boxes hardly ever locks up - maybe once a month or two. The other box does it two or more times a month.

I'd still like to know if there is a fix for this.

njscott

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 06:50:35 AM »

I also have the same problem using a TS-XL/R5 - 4TB

The network shares periodicaly disconnect and the transfer speed from the NAS to my PC is down into the low Kb/s, making it almost unusable.

Seems like there are alot of problems with this family of units.

I guess we'll just have to wait for a fix!!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 08:31:12 AM »

njscott wrote:

I also have the same problem using a TS-XL/R5 - 4TB

The network shares periodicaly disconnect and the transfer speed from the NAS to my PC is down into the low Kb/s, making it almost unusable.

Seems like there are alot of problems with this family of units.

I guess we'll just have to wait for a fix!!

what have you done to try and fix the issue?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!