Author Topic: How to copy files to LinkStation Live over USB  (Read 27385 times)

shandor

• Calf
How to copy files to LinkStation Live over USB
« on: January 17, 2009, 11:31:06 AM »

Hi,

I would like to copy data directly to the LinkStation box via a USB. I connected an external hard drive, which is recognized by the box ( usb disk 1 ) but how do I copy files from it ??

The direct copy, if I understand correctly, will copy everything into a folder it will create automatically - Not good for me.

It does not make sense that the only way to copy files is over a network connection...

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Shandor

kevin

• El Toro
Re: How to copy files to LinkStation Live over USB
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 02:02:49 PM »
   Direct copy is the only way to transfer files From USB to To the LS without using your computer as a middle man.

sorethumbs

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 02:08:46 PM »

open your buffalo folders file (i do it via NAS navigator) and the usb device is listed among all the other folders i have in the linkstation eg shares, printers etc and i just double click on usbdisk1 (might be different for you though) and open another folder within the linkstation and copy or move things

well works for me anyways 

sorethumbs

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 02:10:13 PM »
   Out of interest Kevin how would you do a direct copy without using a pc? keen to learn as much as poss with my new device

shandor

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »

I actually found a kind of "trick" to do it by now ( altough I expect it to be more straight forward than that )

I can start backup job to copy files from the usb drive to the LinkStation box via the web user interface.

Just need to make sure you choose the correct optios for the backup.

Still cumbersome.

Regarding the reply of using NAS navigator... Maybe I am using the wrong software but when I click on my linkstation icon it opens it in a seprate window like any other shared drive.

sorethumbs

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 02:25:33 PM »
   i double click my NASnavigator2 icon and it comes up with details such as ip,  workgroup, firmware etc and also an icon for the drive (same pic as the drive looks in real life) then i double click on that and all folders that are set up are displayed, including any usb device thats plugged in

sandbox

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 03:55:09 PM »

I have been having the same problem with direct copy.  When I try any of the methods suggested I get a transfer speed of only max 400 KB/s. When I try to direct copy using the direct copy button on the Livestation I can transfer very quickly a very large amount of data but only of media types. My problem is that I have image backups of my PC which are over 50GB and I would like to transfer them to the larger livestation drive.

What can I do to get these large files into my livestation quickly.  Drive backup method shows me that it would take days.

any help appreciated.

diogobm

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 03:31:24 PM »

How can I copy files from my USB to the linkstation, or vice versa, directly? I need to move large sums of data from particular folders in both ways.

My model make: LS-GL F/W 1.11

ajdeross

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 08:04:40 PM »

I got the same problem. hooking up an external drive to the nas has a transfer speed under 1mbps, but if i go from the external to my laptop, across the network to the nas, i get 2.5 mbps

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 01:31:30 PM »

It is very easy to back up and restore data to and from a linkstation and an external USB drive. 

You have to make sure that the external drive is formated to XFS through the linkstation.

From here you want to go to the usbdisk1 folder under shared folders. You have to make sure that this folder has "disk backup" checked under its folder support. You have to do the same thing for all the share folders that you want to back up or restore. 

Once this is done you can go to the back up utility in your linkstation's interface. 

From here you can make a backup or a restore job. Just choose your schedule and back up type and choose the source and destination folders. So if you want to make a back up to the usbdisk1 then you choose the share folders on the linkstation that you want as the source and the usbdisk1 as the destination. You just have to do the reverse for a restore from the external usbdisk. 

rickjames8

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 12:17:07 AM »

Hello all,

I bought one of these 2TB Linkstation drives to back up a handful of smaller drives I've accumulated over the years.  Overall I've been disappointed with the advertised DirectLink, as it's really marketed as a plug-n-play type thing, which it certainly isn't.   Moreover, I find the manuals poorly written and the software bundle confusing as to which programs I actually need.   But I have found what I feel is the best way to transfer large amounts of data of all types so I'll share it in case it helps someone else.

First I plugged my HDD in the USB on the back of the linkstation (any format HDD should work as mine are all NTFS). It should now visible as a folder in the root directory of the LS called "usbdisk1".  

Sorethumbs recommended opening this folder and doing a copy to the main share folder.  The problem I have with that is that those files are unnecessarily being transferred through your computer.  So your computer needs to stay on the network to make that transfer, and it slows your computer down if you want to do other things with it.  Also if the transfer stops mid-folder, then you need to try to figure out where to restart the process, etc.  

So I plugged my HDD in the back of the Linkstation and set a backup through the web interface.  One thing the manuals aren't very clear on is the fact that there are 2 control 'programs'.   The first being NAS Navigator, which I find to be useless, except for finding the IP address of the Linkstation.  Once you've found that IP (192.168.1.X) then typing that in to any web browser (eg: http://192.168.1.6) will get you in to the control panel (default username: admin, password: password).  Under the tab "Shared Folders" you'll see "Folder set up".  You should see both 'share' and 'usbdisk1'.  Make sure under the 'Support' column both disks should say at least "Disk Backup".   Mine say "Windows, Apple, Disk Backup". 

Then click on the "System" tab, and go to the "Backup" tab.  Here you'll see a little button that says "create new job".  Click on it.  Now assign a job name (whatever you like), mark the schedule 'immediate', and the operation 'normal'.  I left all the options in their default settings, but I marked 'exclude trash' as a personal preference.  Then click the green "Add" button under backup folders.  From backup sources, select "usbdisk1" and for backup targets, select 'share@LS-CHLF22'.  Your model number may be different.  Then click "Apply".

The screen should now show your transfer name, with the status 'running'.  It took me about 1 day to transfer 350gb to the Linkstation drive.   Slow, but workable.  I think with those speeds it's using some protocol other than USB2.0.  But I was free to take my laptop away with me for the day while this was all running at home, which worked well.  It will put all of the items in a new folder with a cryptic numerical name, but rearranging them using Windows explorer takes just a minute. 

Hope this helps someone else. 

cdprice

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 04:11:53 PM »

You tha' man @rickjames8!

I was apprehensive at the prospect of tying up my laptop and network for 17 hours to move a 300GB file between "share" and "USB Disk 1". Your instructions worked perfectly. Thank you!

ghynes

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 01:14:03 PM »

Is there any way of transferring files from the NAS to a USB thats plugged into the NAS? the usbdisk1 is read only. 

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 11:11:16 AM »

The disk will need to be formated to XFS or FAT32 to be read/write.