Author Topic: PC won't start with Drive Station Combo 1 TB unit plugged in + Defrag Question  (Read 4912 times)

mac8

• Calf

I have a Drive Station Combo 1 TB unit. If it's plugged in when I boot the PC, the PC won't get to the desktop. If I have it unplugged, the PC will boot fine (as it did before I added the new hard drive) and then I can plug it in to have it read and used. Any ideas on why this happens?

Also, I'm looking for a utility to be able to defrag the 1 TB drive. I have an older version of Diskeeper but it won't defrag a drive over 500 gb. Is there anything out there to handle this?

Thanks.

Edin

• Calf

It is posible that you computer's BIOS is set to boot to USB device, if one is discovered.

I forget to remove my USB tumbdrive and laptop does not boot since there is no OS on that drive.

Go to BIOS and change the order of bootable devices, or disable boot from USB.

steve

• Calf

Does it take a long time to boot once you see the Windows boot logo, or does it take a long time to get to the Windows boot logo?

If it takes a long time to boot once it gets to the Windows boot logo, it is due to Windows scanning the hard drive for consistency. Otherwise, if it takes a long time to get to the Windows boot logo the issue is likely to be a setting in the BIOS.