Author Topic: Link Station Live and Vista Backup  (Read 8609 times)

mas985

• Calf
Link Station Live and Vista Backup
« on: September 20, 2008, 11:33:31 AM »

Has anyone ever gotten a Link Station Live to work with Vista Backup Center? If so, how?

This seems to be an old problem for all NAS boxes which is all over the web but unfortunately none of the solutions seem to work for me. The buffalo web site suggests changing the registry settings but that doesn't work for me either.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Link Station Live and Vista Backup
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 10:45:24 AM »

Causes: Vista defaults to only send the more secure NTLMv2 protocol, which these NAS devices / Samba do not support.

Fixes: Go to Start -> Run -> "secpol.msc". Then goto Local Policies -> Security Options. Find "Network Security: LANManager authentication level". Change the setting from "Send NTLMv2response only" to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security ifnegotiated". Save the setting and then reboot the computer.

Note: Buffalo has a download that does the same thing,but it involves messing with the registry by incorporating a ".reg"file. It is much better (and probably easier) to just use the abovesteps.

New Note: Seems some copies of Vista do not have"secpol.msc", probably the Home versions(Home Basic and Home Premium).These users will either need to use the download from Buffalo or go into their Registry editor.

Regedit instructions:
  1. Start->Search Bar or Run and enter "regedit"
  2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlSet->Control->Lsa
  3. Right-click on "lmcompatibilitylevel" and choose Modify
  4. Set the Value Data to 2 (default is 3) and click OK
  5. Exit regedit and reboot
  6. Try to connect again

mas985

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 11:27:20 AM »

As I had said in my original post, I did all that you suggested (it was on the Buffalo support site) but I still get a login error.

Exactly how should I enter the user name and password when Vista Backup asks for it? Is it the user name and password of the PC or LS-Live? What is the format?

Message Edited by mas985 on 09-22-2008 09:30 AM

jjaf

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:43:36 PM »

Create a user account on the Linkstation with the same user name & password as the Vista Backup job, make sure it has full control of your backup share. The user name and password Backup is asking for is your Vista one, assuming that account has full priviliges on the LS.

If Vista Backup still doesn't work you may need to upgrade the Linkstation firmware. I had to do this on a Linkstation Pro (V1.11). Beware, the LSupdate program is not without problems - do not run the update over a wireless connection, use wired only. Make sure you have another backup of your LS files before the upgrade. If you are not confident then don't run the update. Find a better solution than Vista Backup, its not brilliant and sometimes still fails even with all the above applied. I have NTI Shadow on Windows XP which is rather good, but I don't know if it works on Vista.

mas985

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »

Thanks for the reply but this is the way I have it set up. Both Vista and the Linkstation have the same user name and password set up. Did it this way so I could automatically access the Linkstation files without an additional login.

I had asked about the login because on some web sites they say to use the following as a login:

workgroup\user name

instead of just a user name. I couldn't get any combination to work.

I am using another backup program but I was just curious to get Vista Backup to work properly.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 09:42:17 AM »

Fixes: Try connecting to "\\IPAddress" instead of"\\NASName". Also, try using "WorkgroupName\UserName","\\NASName\UserName", or "\\NASIPAddress\UserName".

Fixes: Try going into the command prompt and entering(without quotes) "NET USE \\[IP or NetBIOS name of NAS]\[folder that isbeing restricted] /d" and then try logging into the share again.

This is a SAMBA issue and we are working on a firmware flash that will incorporate 3.x into the operating system.

mas985

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 01:08:12 PM »

Tried all of the suggestions but nothing seems to work.

Will the firmware upgrade be available for the Linkstation Live as well?

Looks like I will have to wait for that.

Neddy

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 10:12:30 AM »

I have made the registry change but I am definitely getting a known Samba error ("Cannot create a file when that file already exists") when I try to use Vista Backup with my LinkStation Live HS-DH500GL.  Samba issue is clearly described here:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2007-January/051318.html

When will the LinkStation Live firmware update come out?  This issue has been known for nearly two years, and was fixed for the LinkStation Pro via firmware update over a year ago.  It is aggravating not being able to use built-in Vista backup with this device.

There has not been an update for this LinkStation Live since April 2007; I have only had it a year but it feels like this product has been left behind by Buffalo.