Author Topic: PCs that are Wireless can not find the LinkStation  (Read 3243 times)

keneb

• Calf
PCs that are Wireless can not find the LinkStation
« on: January 03, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »

I have just added a LS-XHL to my Network.  It is cabled to my Netgear Wireless Router.  I installed on my PC that is also cabled to the Wireless Router and that PC can access the LinkStation. 

I Installed LinkNavigator on a second PC that access the Network thru Wirless and it can not discover the LinkStation.  If I disconnet the cable to the first PC and try to access the Network via Wireless, it can no longer find the LinkStation. 

I also have a Printer connect via cable to the Wireless Router and all the PCs can access the Printer.

Have I installed somthing wrong that I have to be cabled to the Network to be able to find the LinkStation?

disputator

• Buffalo
Re: PCs that are Wireless can not find the LinkStation
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 06:52:04 AM »

Usually I use NAS Navigator 2.34 but I tried 2.43 as well (I jsut start the exe in the extracted folder, works also without installing) . I have to say it works also in WLAN. No issues.

Check the usual suspects like firewall. Ececute the NASnavi exe with admin rights etc.

keneb

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 11:15:38 AM »

I have to admit that I am not sure what you are suggesting.

When I tried to install NAS Navigator on a PC which is on the Wireless Network, it searched the Network for the LinkStation and could not find. 

I did disable my AVG, but did not disable the MS Firewall when trying the install on either the PC on the Wireless Network nor the PC attached to the Network with the eNet cable.  Does the Firewall have to be disabled for the Wireless PCs to find the storage device?

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 02:01:13 AM »

Yes, on the wireless PC/Notebook you are using- deactivate the firewall and try again. You should also check what version of the NasNavigator you use. It is written in grey on the right bottom corner.

If you want to try more than one version of the NAsNavigator there is a way to do it without installation- this is what I was saying. If this is not understandable please ignore it.

I just did it here with version NasNavigator 2.43 It does find my LinkStation Pro Duo on firmware 1.56. Have Windows 7 on a Dell Laptop.

That means if under same circumstances it does not work for you there must be something else.

keneb

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »

I uninstalled the version of NasNavigator that came on the CD, downloaded NasNavigator 2.43 from Buffalo, turned off AVG and the Firewall then istalled 2.43.  

My LapTop that is attached to the Network scans for and finds the LinkStation.  I did the same to another LapTop which only has wireless access to the Network.  NasNavigator scans the network but does not find the LinkStation. 

Do I have to do something to the either the LapTop that attaches by wireless or to the LinkStation to allow the PC and LinkStation to communicate?

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 01:37:58 PM »

On the LinkStation there is nothing to activate- the service for detections stays on. (only with TeraStation you can...) So there is nothing in the LinkStation configuration I am aware of.

However, I don't  have a solution in your case without going into details like NetBios over TCP/IP - lookk if it is activated and such.

My suggestion for an easy solution. On the wired PC find the LS, go in Network settings, put a static IP in and bookmar the IP in all Browsers you ever use for configuration. (and if you can remember that number the LS is always accessble to you) In my opimion it is not woth the time to solve it because Buffalo support will say- look- if it works on some PC and on some it does not the problem is hard to track and it is not sure that the cause is the NAS Navigator. :) Thats what I would do.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 03:23:48 PM »

Maybe your router has some sort of privacy seperator activated? I know this happens on Buffalo routers and can be disabled. Maybe give your router support a call.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

KieranG

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »

I've seen multiple posts about this problem so you are not alone.

Unfortunately I have not seen any fixes !!! :-(

Given the multiple posts the problem / solution lies with Buffalo,  but getting them to accept that seems very difficult

keneb

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 10:59:04 AM »

I have been able to PING the NAS sucessfullyfrom the two LapTops that attach via Wireless but NAS Navigator2 Version 2.43 scans but can find them.  Is there something I need to change in the LapTops, or the NAS or the Wireless Routher that is necessary for the NAS Navigator2 to recognize Buffalo drive on the Network ?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 04:27:08 PM »

KieranG wrote:

I've seen multiple posts about this problem so you are not alone.

Unfortunately I have not seen any fixes !!! :-(

Given the multiple posts the problem / solution lies with Buffalo,  but getting them to accept that seems very difficult

And what makes you think this is a Buffalo problem exactly? The Linkstation does not know if a connection is from wired/wireles/LAN/WAN or anything otherwise.

The problem lies with the router, dont be so quick to jump to conclusions.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

keneb

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 11:37:03 AM »

Any suggestions regarding what I should check in my Netgear RangeMax Wireless router that would be blocking wireless access to the Network from finding the NAS device ?

keneb

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 03:22:02 PM »

I put the IP address of the Buffalo NAS into Window Explorer and the Wireless attached machine was able to find the NAS device and I open the file on the NAS device. After re-booting the device even came up assigned to L: .
Question: now that Windows XP has found the NAS device, should it continue to come as the L: device ?

I ran the Buffalo SW again, it searched the network but was not able to find the NAS. Is there anything in my RangeMax WPN824V3 wireless Router that I need to change to allow the Buffalo NAS SW to find the NAS device ?