Author Topic: Cannot delete files from usbdisk1  (Read 4405 times)

keithk

• Calf
Cannot delete files from usbdisk1
« on: January 02, 2012, 03:54:09 PM »

I have a LS Duo running the latest firmware. I cannot delete files & folders on the USB drive I have attached to it - using my Mac running 10.7.2. It always fails stating the file/folder is "in use" (it's not).

What is the process for deleting files/folders from an attached usb drive? 

Thanks.

ESCHER

• El Toro
Re: Cannot delete files from usbdisk1
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 08:18:37 AM »

How did you formatted the USB drive.

USB drives are read-write only if the filesystem is FAT32, EXT3 or XFS.

keithk

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 09:51:40 PM »

MIne is formatted as XFS, so apparently I cannot delete files. Interesting that ths is not mentioned in the User Manual. 

Now I'm confused as to what the value of additional storage is if you can only add files. Can someone please explain how usb disks are intended to be used?

Thanks.

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 03:16:49 AM »

Usually if it is NTFS or FAT32 you cannot delete any files. Yes, weird, FAT32 you can use for backup but if you share in network it is read only.

With EXT3 it should work. So far as I remember XFS is used for the internal disk and it is not an option in formatting an external drive.

Of course- you won't find it in the manual ;) 

Most likely the external disk is not XFS- please check.

keithk

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:51:43 AM »

Thanks for the info.

My usb drive is formatted using XFS. From reading the chart in the manual, I chose that option because it seemed the best. EXT3 is described as slower and providng less space for data. No where in the chart does it indicate that there are restrictions on deleteing with any format. 

At this point it looks like the only way I am going to be able to reclaim any space is reformatting. Can anyone confirm that using EXT3 will allow me to read/write/delete from my Mac? If I have two usb drives formatted with EXT3, can I swap them without losing data or reformatting when I connect? I'd like to use two usb drives, swapping them periodically, to allow me to keep an offsite backup.

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 09:27:18 AM »

XFS should work.

Maybe the drive is mounted as read only because it is "dirty" (not properly unmounted).  Try to check disk with the utilities on the web interface.

Maybe there is something wrong with access restrictions.

As far as I know, Linkstations should recognize the first partition of an external USB disk.  It is not mandatory to be formatted by the LS.

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 09:45:09 AM »

Swap USB drives does work. You can press the function button for safe unmount, just have a look in the instructions.

If you access via netwok it should not be important what the format of the drive is as long as it is supported by the host. If a file appears to be locked it could also be the case that the connection was interupted when editing. Make hidden files visible and see if there, look for temp files and delete them. 

keithk

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 09:59:25 AM »

Thanks. Nice to know that XFS "should work", but unfortunalty it does not. 

I don't understand your suggestion that it is not properly unmounted. Do you mean unmounted by the LS, or my Mac? This drive has been attached to the LS since it was formatted by the LS. When I tested shutting down the usb drive, disconnecting it, and reconnecting it, the LS forced me to reformat it. So I assumed it was not possible to swap between 2 usb drives.

I appreciate all the suggestions. It seems like there is conflicting info about what formats will allow read/write/delete, and how usb disks work in general. Since Buffalo will not provide complete documentation, it appears the only way to answer these questions is experimentation.

If anyone else can shed light on the behavior of usb drives with the different formats, I'd appreciate it. 

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 10:23:42 AM »

The manual says to unmount a drive:

To remove the hard drive:
If the LinkStation is powered on, dismount the USB hard drive before unplugging it. Hold in the
function button for 3 seconds. The blue LED will go out, and the drive is dismounted. You may now
unplug it safely.
If the LinkStation is off, then the USB device is already dismounted, and you can remove it safely.

Did you read my post regarding locked files?

keithk

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 10:32:59 AM »

Thanks for the instructions on unmounting from the LS. Thats what I did (months ago), when trying to swap drives. Upon reconnecting, the LS would not write to it (and did not see the contents) until I reformatted the usb drive. After formatting, the drive has been connected to the LS and never unmounted. 

Are you suggesting I look for temp/locked files on my Mac? I will do that, but doubt that there are any. I have never opened any file from the usb directly with the Mac.

keithk

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 12:58:22 PM »

OK - I have made all files visible on my Mac, and seached for any  files (temp and otherwise) with a name similar to a file I want to delete from the usbdisk1. I did not find any. I still cannot delete this file from usbdisk1.

So, apparently XFS is not working for what I want to do. Or I have another problem I do not undersatnd.

Any further suggestions would be welcomed. 

keithk

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »

Wondering if you found a solution for this.

I am having the same proble. USB drive is formatted XFS.

I can delete individual files & folders from backup jobs, but not folders that were created by the LS when the backup was created. For example, I cannot delete the folder named with the date and time that the LS created as the destination for the source shares backed up. Also cannot delete the folders within that folder that have the same name as the shares.

But I can delete to contents of the folders named like the shares. Including the all sub folders and files. 

I'm assuming the folders I cannot delete were created by the LS, therefore a permissions problem exists. 

Anyone found a solution?

keithk

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 09:49:24 PM »

bump to get this above the spam

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 02:38:35 AM »

Hi Keith,

Sorry, I didn't spend time on this yet. 

However, I understand you do it from Mac over network. How is it, when you specifically mount with SMB? Go -> Connect to Server -> type smb:/./[LS-IP]

Weird, but AFP gives issues sometimes. Just an idea because I knew someone who said it was r/o and after this he could write.

keithk

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 12:08:42 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion

I get a little more specific error message, but still cannot delete the folders. The message is:

The operation can’t be completed because the item “folders.501” is in use.

I know this points to a file in the mac's filesystem being a problem. But I never see this when deleting subfolders or files from the USB disk, only the folders created by the LS.