Author Topic: only flashing blue light with LS-XHL  (Read 2170 times)

Volk0r

• Calf
only flashing blue light with LS-XHL
« on: December 30, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »

Hi there,

I'm really struggling here. I have a LS-XH1.0TL-EU which worked for month. However there was a power outage some days ago and since then the NAS will not finish booting, the blue light just stays flashing. When powering on it sounds like booting up and I can also ping the former IP but NASNavigator won't find the device. What's also strange is that the off switch on the back won't power the device off in that state, the power cable has to be removed for that.

I read all sorts of howto and reports from others and as I understand I have to reflash the firmware and for that I need the drive to be accessible in NASNavigator / be in EM mode. I followed the mentioned steps to

1) attach power

2) wait 65sec

3) check in NASNavigator for availability

4) unplug power

5) repeat 1-4

I did this like a hundred times and it still won't show up. Is there anything else I can do to force EM on the drive?

Is there any trick like waiting between the unplug an plug or a perfect timing when to unplug?

Also tried other stuff like TFTP (won't get any response), holding the function button while powering on (leads to the function button flashing, but nothing else), trying acp_command.jar,...

I'm really out of ideas and grateful for every help.

best regards,

V.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: only flashing blue light with LS-XHL
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 05:11:17 PM »

Have you tried the simple reset process that is in the manual?

Please switch the unit to off and wait until the lights are off.

Hold the function button for 10 seconds while it is still off.

While still holding the function button after 10 seconds please flip the switch to on.

Once the function light begins to blink release the function button and press it again for one second.

Wait until the power light is solid and this will restore your unit.

This process will not delete any data and will only restore the admin password and set the IP address back to DHCP.

The only way to force this unit into EM mode is to use ACP commander but I do not know how to do this and it is not something that is supported by the mods here.

Volk0r

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 06:37:23 PM »

Hi Jotin,

yes I have tried that. In the meantime I managed to get one step further.

I was able to turn the drive into EM by sort of following the description on nas-central:

- connect power

- wait exactly 25sec

- unplug power

- do this 3 times

- let it boot on the 4th time and I ended up in EM

It looks like the trick was really to abort boot early for three times, then let it boot on the fourth.

Afterwards I was able to see the device in NASNavi, therefore I continued with upgrading the firmware. I updated successfully to 1.56, however at the end of the process it would ask me for the administrator's password. Neither my last password nor "password" worked. So I pressed cancel, then there was some message aubout error on setting time but otherwise everything was okay. Unfortunately I still can not access my shares and I also can't login in the web interface, it says invalid password.

I already tried to do a factory reset by holding the function button but it did not work besides resetting the IP.

Afterwards I tried to reflash the firmware with LSUpdater in debug mode and checking "delete user config" but when I want to start the update I am again prompted for the admin password.

Is there anything else I can do to reset the admin password?

Thanks in advance

Volk0r

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 08:50:11 AM »

If you have the password problem, look at post http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/Where-can-I-get-older-firmwares-especially-LS-series-fw140-acp/m-p/89078/highlight/false#M44614

I was able to resolve mine as explained there.