Author Topic: Want my 2 Linkstation Pros to sync the drives  (Read 6899 times)

TroyWolf

• Calf
Want my 2 Linkstation Pros to sync the drives
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:43:24 PM »

A pair of Link Station Pro 1TB LS-1000GL units. 

So I saw the little marketing diagram showing multiple Linkstation Pros and their ability to back up to each other. I made an incorrect assumption and now wonder if there is a way to achieve what I want...

I have a pair of 1TB Link Station Pro units. I'd "simply" like them to stay sync'd. I'd even be happy with just a once-a-day one-way copy. I configured one to back-up to the other, but it creates a new entire backup image in a new folder every day. What I want is at the end of each day (or whenever the daily backup runs) both units will have identical contents.

Another way to say this is that I want to create a sudo "mirror" or RAID 1 array out of my 2 units.

I could mount both on my computer and use a script to sync between them. However, I want a solution that is not dependant on any of my computers.

Ideas? 

kevin

• El Toro
Re: Want my 2 Linkstation Pros to sync the drives
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:57:23 PM »

You cannot create a RAID array between the two units but since they are the same model you should be able to back one up to the other.

What you want to do is setup a backup job like you had it doing before, but istead of doing a "Normal" backup would want to use one of the other four Modes. Here they are:

Backup Mode:

Normal Backup:

Saves as "yyyymmddhhmm\sourcename\data". Makes a new folder for each backup.

Overwrite Backup (Complete/Append)<labeled incorrectly as the first "Overwrite Backup (Complete/Differential)" on Linkstation Pro, Linkstation Live, Terastation Pro II, and Terastation Live>:

Saves as "_backups\sourcename\data". Does a complete backup every time, if a file is on the destination that is not on the source, it will not be deleted.

Overwrite Backup (Complete/Differential):

Saves as "_backups\sourcename\data". Does a complete backup every time, if a file is on the destination that is not on the source, it will be deleted.

Overwrite Backup (Append):

Saves as "_backups\sourcename\data". Does a complete backup the first time, subsequent backups only send the changes. If a file is on the destination that is not on the source, it will not be deleted.

Overwrite Backup (Differential):

Saves as "_backups\sourcename\data". Does a complete backup the first time, subsequent backups only send the changes. If a file is on the destination that is not on the source, it will be deleted.

Pretty much Complete backups do a complete back up everytime (overwriting files). Append backups will not delete a file that has already been backup, if that file was deleted from the source (other LS), Differential backups will delete that file during the backup.

Message Edited by kevin on 01-14-2009 09:58 PM

TroyWolf

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 02:40:45 PM »

Kevin, thank you very much for this detailed reply. So, if I understand correctly, the "Overwrite Backup (Differential)" mode is the closest to what I want. It wil not create completely new backup folders every time. Instead, it will always write the backup to the same folder. Only changes get synced to the backup. If files are deleted from the "source", they are also removed from the backup location.

This is ALMOST what I want. It is what I want except for the fact it puts the backed up files in a folder (_backups). I literally want the two units to appear to be identical after a backup. That is I could swap IP addresses and my users would never know.

It would be great to see a "mirror" option. 

Thanks again! 

dougkm

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 03:10:18 AM »

Same here!  I want to achieve the same thing on my 2 LinkStation Quads 4T

I am trying to create a 'syncronized' backup between primary and secondary Linkstations.  I will use the "Overwrite Backup (Differential)" option to accomplish this.  However, I do not want the backup Linkstation to have the "_backups" directory name.  I just want an exact replica of my Primary Linkstation's Share folder directory structure in the Secondary Linkstation's Share folder.  When I uncheck "Create a Folder Inside of the Backup Target", it gives me the strangest warning dialog box.  It is in English, but I have no idea what it means!  It says:  

"Create folder to identify backup source option isn't specified.  In this case, estimated result can't be obtain due to Backup Operation Mode.  Refer to Help and backup test is strongly recommended.  Will you continue?"

I click continue, and the initial backup works fine.  The question is, will the subsequent Differential backups work correctly (backing up new and changes files, and deleting removed files)?  Or, does the "_backup" destination folder need to be there for some reason?  

cdsJerry

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 12:57:45 PM »

I want the same thing but you're both ahead of me.  I haven't been able to make my Linkstation Live unit back up to my identical Linkstation Live at all.   I've read KB#000120 however I've had zero success.

1) There should be a way to create a backup mirror

2) The backup should allow a remote backup where the remote is behind a firewall and not exposed to the entire world.

3) Such a backup should be very easy to create as it's a often asked for feature and currently leaves users disappointed 98% of the time.

I wrote to Buffalo about this issue twice asking for help but never got a response from their support.  They promised a response in 48 hours but it's been weeks so I don't think one is coming any longer.

The units are soooo close to being really valuable units, but in their current state they're nothing more than expensive local storage.

zurn

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 01:53:44 PM »

Wondering if any of you guys found a solution to this--i want to do the same thing:  keep a mirror of my data in two locations.  I know how it can be done with rsync, but i'd rather not void the warranty to get the ssh/rsync access on the Linkstation.  

I do it now with local USB drives and cygwin, but it seems like the Linkstations are so close to being able to do it themselves...i'd like to know before investing the moula. ;-)

-steve

cdsJerry

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 02:07:14 PM »

I sent several emails to technical support but didn't get a reply to any of them.  I have not been able to make it work.  My backup unit is sitting on the floor by my desk doing me no good whatsoever.    I've been mislead and conned.   I will never suggest Buffalo to anyone as they misrepresented their product and offered zero support when given an opportunity.  They have a well known problem effecting many of their customers and they have decided to ignore the problem and hope it goes away.  I'm disgusted with them as a company.

bubbajump

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 06:52:59 AM »

Guys,

I found a solution to this battle ages ago. I ran

rsync -av --log-file=/cygdrive/d/LOGS/rsync/rsync.log /cygdrive/ddrive/ /cygdrive/edrive

Note that the source folder has a trailing slash, while the destination folder has no trailing slash. ddrive was how I mapped my primary linkstation and edrive was how I mapped my secondary linkstation. Note that for two way sync, you may need to run the reverse as well after the above command, which is:

rsync -av --log-file=/cygdrive/d/LOGS/rsync/rsync.log /cygdrive/edrive/ /cygdrive/ddrive

Now if you are interested in just ensuring that drive2 is a mirror of drive1, where any deletes in drive1 should also happen to drive2, just add the "--delete" option while running rsync, however I do not recommend automating the deletes.Example:

rsync -av --delete --log-file=/cygdrive/d/LOGS/rsync/rsync.log /cygdrive/ddrive/ /cygdrive/edrive

I have this running under CYGWIN on my home server and works mighty well. For those that are looking for an easier solution, I have Vice Versa Pro. This product is well worth the money.

Thanks.

cdsJerry

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 08:32:54 AM »

I see there is a Windows version of the rsync command.  Do you run this using task scheduler?  How are you mapping the remote drive when it's off the local network behind a firewall?  I can use Dynamic DNS but I can't use a port name in a mapped drive can I?  And the only security with an open port would be the security on the Buffalo drive.  Is that robust enough?   Would I need to use a VPN instead of an open port?

zurn

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 01:51:47 PM »

cdsJerry, here's what i do:  i keep a buffalo at home and just a USB drive at work as an off-site backup.  I have cygwin installed on both systems which includes rsync but also can turn your Win system into an ssh host.  Then you can use the rsync/ssh facility to connect over the internet to update/mirror.

The problem i'm having is that my initial rsync for backup is behaving strangely.  That is, i rsync my "My Documents" folder to my Buffalo LS, and then that mirrors to my work system.  That first step used to work fine with a USB drive, but now that it's using a mapped drive to the LS some files always update.

Right--only some files.  I do an intial -a rsync, and then the same files seem to need to be transferred over and over, rather than just new files.  There has to be something particular to those files, but then these files didn't cause a problem when it was a different drive. 

Not expecting direct support here, but just hoping someone has an idea...

-steve

cdsJerry

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 02:15:43 PM »

I guess it's good not to expect support because Buffalo doesn't support anything as near as I can tell.  My two units are still sitting on the floor behind my desk because I've never been able to make them work the way Buffalo claims they work. 

I'd LOVE to mirror one of them to another one that's located behind a firewall at a different location.  I can do the VPN thing but Buffalo insists it needs to be a WAN IP and won't work with a LAN.    Buffalo SO misrepresents this product.

RedRocket

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 10:06:02 AM »
I am in a similar situation. I have to bring my off site Linkstation Pro into the office so that the backup can run. Truly disappointing.