Author Topic: What is the utility of users and groups?  (Read 1276 times)

jec047

• Calf
What is the utility of users and groups?
« on: December 17, 2011, 12:52:05 AM »

I know this is a rookie question but I have searched high and low for an explanation of why I would want to install users and groups on my LinkStation (LS-CHL). I have a network with a couple of Macs, both running Snow Leopard. I use the LinkStation to store backups generated by a home-grown backup solution. I'm sure someone out there can answer this, right???

ESCHER

• El Toro
Re: What is the utility of users and groups?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 08:20:29 PM »

In a simple environment, you can forget about groups.

If you have a lot of users, then you can manage rights easier.  You can create a group for several users and manage access restrictions to different shares at once.

jec047

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:57:06 AM »

OK. Is there any reason I should install any users other than admin and guest?

Mr-Willow

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 07:19:58 AM »

If like me you have a hi-tech family with a mixture of Windoze, MACs, iPads etc you can use ‘users’ and ‘group’ to lock down who has access to what.

Example;

- I have read/write access to the family photos directory (share), my kids have read-only.

- Using a ‘family’ group containing everyone I give access to a ‘family’ directory (share) with read/write access.

- Each family member’s own ‘home’ directory (mapped on whichever device they login to) is only accessible by them.

- Default access for the ‘music’ share is read-only, except by admin who serves the iTunes server.

- etc

Don't make it too complicated but you get the picture :-)