Author Topic: Is Linkstation compatible with Backup Exec?  (Read 7619 times)

DaVinci

• Calf
Is Linkstation compatible with Backup Exec?
« on: September 18, 2008, 01:59:07 PM »

We use Symantec Backup Exec to backup files to tape drives daily.  I added a Linkstation Pro to our network for more storage space, but I can't get Backup Exec to connect to it.  I tried installing Remote Agent, I tried doing user-defined selections, I tried connecting to the network through a workgroup and an Active Directory domain, but nothing has worked.  I can't use the Linkstation if I can't backup the files on it.

Thanks.

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Is Linkstation compatible with Backup Exec?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 02:16:23 PM »

Please check out this link http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/254193.htm

symantec has a nice how to on Buffalo products. 

DaVinci

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 02:36:30 PM »

That is one of the methods I linked in my post.  It did not work.  I even tried adding the Linkstation admin login to the Resource Credentials, but I still get this error:

"Access to this device is not authorized with this version of Backup Exec."

I have version 10.

Kyllc

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 04:27:34 PM »

DaVinci,

I know we use an older version of Backup Exec on one of our servers for our tape backups and it will not work for the buffalo drive.  We do, however, use BackupAssist which is just a very nice "addon" to NT Backup.  It allows you to set schedules, different schemes (append or replace), and it's pretty user friendly/intuitive.  Best of all, it's cheap @ $230.  But dont expect more than 3-5 MB/s over your 1000Mb network.  Atleast that is the throughput we're experiencing.  

Good luck bud, let me know if I can help you out.

Kyle 

contento

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 09:53:35 AM »

I have not been able to get Backup Exec to work with the TerraStation in either version 10d on Server2003 or 9.1 on MS Small Biz Server.

i can get as far as setting the backup up on the 9.1 version, but it fails the test run:

Test run status            : Failed
Logon account check status : Failed

on the newer version, I get the same "no auth on this version" message

TechniIt

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 04:12:53 PM »
   Has anyone found an answer/solution to this issue yet?

DaVinci

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 07:04:10 AM »
   No.  I've tried a few more times but couldn't get the two to connect.  I ended up using NT Backup.

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 07:41:17 AM »
The NAS products we make don't support the remote agent installation of any kind. All the successes i've encountered have been with version 11 or above.

TechniIt

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 02:28:16 PM »
   How do I go about doing that?  My LS-1000GL is up and running on the AD Domain, I have Backup Exec 12.5 up.  But it won't let me install any remote agents on the NAS, nor will it let me map to it using the UNC or the IP address.  I get "access denied" even though I can get to it through other ways.  Please respond.

puddingmonkey

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 05:13:49 PM »

If I recall correctly I got around this by creating an entry for the Buffalo device in the hosts file, then Backup Exec would let me use it as a Backup-to-Disk folder.  Now I'm trying to find a way to get BE to let me use a LinkStation Pro Duo (not integrated with AD, so I think I will get credentials issues).

Edit: Turns out the LinkStation Pro Duo is AD integrated.  I did it in the same fashion I described, by creating a hosts entry for it and it works just fine.

Message Edited by puddingmonkey on 03-05-2009 05:43 PM

contento

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 09:03:47 AM »

I have BE 9.1 on a SBS2003 box. I have created the backup to disk folder pointing to the Terrastation and it ALMOST works...

Bytes to be protected : 31,535,880,500 bytes
Media online/nearline : Yes
Overwrite or appendable : Yes
Capacity check status : Failed
Media set name :
Online append capacity : 3,679.57 MB
Online overwrite capacity : 0.00 MB
Total append capacity : 38,437.61 MB
Total overwrite capacity : 1,449,984.00 MB

I've got over 1 TB available on the RAID and I'm only trying to backup Exchange data (<32GB). It's failing to see/allocate the capacity correctly.

THoughts?

Tomster2

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 10:11:19 PM »

Using BE 10d for SBS.  Buffalo Link Station Pro.  Works great.  But it took a few tweaks to get there.

1) had to set up "userdefined preferences" under the menu for selections in BE.  This was described in one of the links in this thread.

2) The default user "admin" for the Buffalo drive had to be added to active directory with admin priviledges.

3) after that I had to set BE services to run with the credentials of the newly added "admin" user... then restart the BE services.  The menu for the services  is under the Tools menu in Backup Exec.

4) Restart Backup Exec... and I was then able to create the backup to file folders on the Buffalo and schedule the jobs.

Tomster2

Tomster2

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 04:19:05 PM »
   Additional note: I did not have to use remote agent in Backup Exec... this all worked without it.